Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Concerned about crocs, snakes & spiders on our Au Rainforest trip.

Old Sep 9th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 3 adults is going to be staying at the Daintree Eco Lodge and Spa in Queensland, Austrailia next June, 2012.

I was SO excited about this until, in our research, we came across a video called "Austrailia" in which the presenter, Rudy Maxa, kept talking about spiders who's bite can melt your skin, and the deadliest snake in the world residing in the Rainforest there, not to mention the crocodiles.

Now I have gone from the most adventurous one in the family, to being distressed and fearful. On this vacation we plan to fish the Daintree and Mossman rivers, as well as the coastline, horseback ride, ride on the zip line, take a helicopter ride over the Great Barrier Reef, snorkel in the reef, and, yes, take a guided tour through the rainforest !!!

The Daintree Eco Lodge & Spa is a very luxurious resort and I'm sure they take every precaution to keep their customers safe, but if we spend the high dollar price to stay there for a week, I want to be able to relax and enjoy myself and not worry about spiders in the room, or getting fatally bit while I am walking on the boardwalk around the resort!

I would so appreciate an experienced response to this. Thank you so very much.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Do you think that the Daintree Eco Lodge and all the other hotels in Far North Queensland would still be in business if their guests were dropping like flies from spider and snake bites?

I've been to Port Douglas and Daintree many times and I have never seen anything deadly there. It was much more dangerous for me in my garage in Canberra where I once saw a red-back spider. (And Canberra is over 1500 miles from Daintree!)

Yes, there are deadly critters in Australia and unfortunately, some people (perhaps such as Rudy Maxa) like to overly emphasize this fact. However, it would be rare to even see a deadly critter, much less get bitten by one.

Go enjoy yourself at the Daintree Lodge and fear no more.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 06:49 PM

A little perspective here. I do understand that the threats one does not understand are more easily exaggerated than the ones with which you are familiar.

The most dangerous creatures to your safety at the resort and its surrounds are your fellow guests and family. Now you're really worried!

There is only one really dangerous snake in that forest, the Rough-scale Snake. I have never seen one in the Daintree area but do know that they exist. In the open grasslands and cane paddocks there are others but they are fast to get out of your way and why would you be there anyway?

It is possible that you will come across a Huntsman Spider around the buildings if you are lucky. These are large pale grey spiders with a gentle personality. While poisonous, like all spiders, they do not even gain a mention in most books of venomous or dangerous creatures except to say that they are not dangerous. In the forest there are two other large spiders. The Golden Orb-weaver is also no threat. I've run into their webs and brushed off the spider, causing it some injury before realising what had happened, without a bite. Living in tunnels in the ground is spider known as a mouse spider. There has only ever been one case of a bite with serious reaction and that was to a young child. They are aggressive though so if one should have fallen into the pool overnight then don't lift it out with your hand. You could easily do that for the others mentioned. The spider accused of melting ones skin is found to have no necrotising agents in its venom. The cause of the necrosis is most likely amoebic.

As for the crocs, they are shy of the boats they are not familiar with. Do not go swimming in the river or wading along its banks. Follow the advice of the staff and locals and you'll be fine.

Do have the staff point out the Stinging tree to you though if you intend to leave the tracks and trails and strike off through the forest. Have a look here for a picture and some info: http://alanswildlife.blogspot.com/20...ing-trees.html
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm scared of all these things too and live here in Australia. The good thing is, you rarely see these creatures. Snakes are shy (or so I've been told) so if you are walking outside stomp your feet as you go and the snakes won't hang around.

For spiders, if you get one in your room, which is unlikely, call the staff and they'll remove it. If you are outside on a walk or something, just avoid brushing against trees or shrubs. If it's early morning and it's likely there are still webs about, put your arm out in front of you as you walk. This may sound ridiculous but we get webs spun between two bushes at home and find the arm out in front is better than walking into it.

Crocs are horrible and should be feared. Don't fish on a riverbank unless you know for sure it's safe from crocs. There are usually signs in that part of the world or ask at your hotel. Don't go swimming in fresh or sea water unless you know for sure it is croc free.

The workers at your hotel will be used to letting visitors know what is safe and what isn't so make sure to ask. Long sleeves, trousers and a hat would help on your walk.

It's very likely you will see nothing poisonous or dangerous at all on your holiday. Have a great time!

Kay
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 03:59 AM

Your concerns seem somewhat phobic and quite overblown

Creepy Crawlers are very uncommon in upscale hotels

As are maniac crocs etc... odds are great u will be fine

if you stick with guided tours odds are great you will

be fine and survive your trip unscathed...
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 04:02 AM

Gotta respect the big salties though...

news.yahoo.com/giant-crocodile-captured-alive

Some croc!
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Take a couple of deep breaths - in - out - in - out. Now you are just going to have to take our word when we tell you all will be fine. More than fine - all will be fantastic.

Sure we have the odd little critter here and there who could scare you but as said above I bet you don't see any on your trip. The vast vast majority of Australians have never ever seen them!

You just can't let this get in your way of enjoying your holiday - it's just not rational.

In fact, if you'd told us that you planned to do some surfing on our beaches well, THEN I'd be worried - that is where more tourists find themselves in trouble IMHO.

Our wildlife is awesome including the spiders, crocs and snakes. Personally, I think Crocs Rule and I would never harm a spider - I think they're gorgeous. Snakes I have a very healthy respect for. The odds of you getting into trouble with any of these are pretty slim.

Sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous - get this side of things out of your head so you can have a fabulous time in a truly amazing part of our Country.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Just to put it into perspective a bit, have you thought about the thousands of families with young children, either locals or tourists who visit this area, some indeed live in it, and remain unscathed by deadly creatures.

Just be sensible, read warning signs, yesterday Palm Cove beach was closed due to a crcodile spotting, but there were people who ignored the huge sign in several languages, thought it was a "joke"
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Hi and congratulations on selelcting the Daintree Eco Lodge and Spa for your holiday - it is beautiful.
Please do not be scared of our beautiful environment. The focus of the doco you viewed was VERY heavily weighted to show that wildlife of Australia...and it is certainly varied.
I have lived in Australia for 40 years, been a tour guide throughout the outback for 4 years, lived and worked in Cairns and the Daintree for many years and am sitll all in once safe piece. You will most likely get to see snakes at the Cairns Tropical ZOo, Crocodiles whilst cruising on the Daintree or at Hartley's Crocodile Adventures and spiders - if you look real hard...but they certainly aren't in the habit of leaping on to unsuspecting visitors.
The Daintree Eco Lodge has microscreened all if its rooms so you can relax in comfort on your balcony and 'be in' the rainforest - without creepie crawlies.

Come and enjoy our beautiful place on the planet, as hundreds of thousands have done safely before you.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Never mind crocs or snakes, a possum managed to scare the [email protected] out of me.

I was practicing my golf in the back garden, when I decided to check out some trees that I thought needed cutting. There were some leaves in between 2 branches that looked like an untidy birds nest, I used the club to move the leaves and out popped a possum, I jumped a mile. Didn't even know that possums lived in nests.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:43 PM

Here, families teach their children not to go sticking their fingers into small dark crevices or under bark (where spiders lurk), or to go walking through long grass and leaves (where snakes lurk), especially without proper footwear (enclosed shoes or boots). I don't have any advice for crocs, there are none where I hang out, but if you follow those general principles you probably won't have any problems with creepy-crawlies. Mostly they don't want to encounter humans themselves and will hurriedly get out of the way.

Lavandula
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 12:41 AM

Geordie,
Sounds like a Common Ringtail Possum. Did it have small ears with white behind them?
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 01:00 AM

AlanJG, by your description, I think it was, it looks like there is another one in a tree nearby.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 01:34 AM

Like this, Geordie?

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=po...QWAptQy&zoom=1

We have ringtails and brushtails here (Northern Beaches) and there are lots of dreys in the banana trees & other tropical plantings at the back of my garden.

I thought you were going to warn the OP about our Drop Bears when I read, "Never mind the crocs ...".
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

You have ALL been absolutely fantastic!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to write and set me at peace. I am totally comfortable now and do not expect one incident. It is so good to be rid of that dreadful fear. I am smiling again.

I shall indeed set my sights on having a wonderful trip to the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef of your Spectacular country.

God Bless!!
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 08:09 PM

But no-one has warned Zippy about the drop bears!
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 02:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nooooooooooooooooo Margo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just when Zippy thought it was safe to venture out.

Kay