Sydney to Perth

Old Sep 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney to Perth

Hello!

I'm visiting Australia for a few months starting in December and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on travel from Sydney to Perth. Is it better to go by train or by plane? Is one way cheaper than the other? Thanks!
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 03:28 AM

The train ride, while very scenic, is quite long and relatively expensive. The cheaper train tickets would involve seating only (no bed), and for the length of trip (2-3 days) you would want a cabin/suite - see http://www.gsr.com.au/site/home.jsp.
Or see the great Seat 61 site http://www.seat61.com/Australia.htm#Sydney - Adelaide - Perth

The trip is quite pretty and will provide a great idea of the country, but if cost and time are an issue, i would fly - tickets if booked in advance are in the 2-400 AUD range. See websites for Qantas, Virgin Blue, or Jetstar.

Another option if you really want to see the outback is to consider driving. This is a good option if you want to stop and visit the small towns along the way.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 05:44 PM

It's a pretty fair drive, close enough to 4,000kms (2,500 miles).

Unless you have lots of time and enjoy driving long distances, I'd recommend flying. As thertein says, it's possible to get reasonably cheap tickets. Sign up for the airlines' email alerts and you might pick up a bargain.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM

It is a lovely drive and will give you a great taste of the country, but, it is a very long way. You could do it in five days but you wouldn't do much else but drive.

The train is supposed to be quite nice, a bit expensive, but great scenery during the day. Some sick, sad people get tired of the "emptiness" of the outback view. If you are one of these then the train is not for you either.

Flights are cheap and convenient.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Perhaps you could do a short train trip combined with a long flight. The Kalgoorlie region is fascinating and about a days train ride from Perth. Fly in, take a couple of nights there and take in the mammoth open pit mine, unique architecture, and frontier gold rush history. Then train to Perth to get a taste of the vast emptiness of the country.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback!