Search

Cheapest way to get to Oz

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest way to get to Oz

Hey! I am considering airfare for my trip next October, and I was wondering, is the Qantas Airpass the cheapest way to go (it is $1899 at the time I want to go for Zone 3), or would it be better to wait and see if there is a good special and then just book domestic flights separately? I am wanting to go to Sydney, Cairns, Ayers Rock, and Melbourne (maybe one other city, I haven't decided). Could someone let me know if there is likely to be a better special between now and then for a flight departing October 11, 2009? Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 01:10 PM

from what country???
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Poster writes "October 11, 2009" - only USA-Americans do that, so, are you from the States?

I'm not a gambler, I would take the 1899.- now, but I thought you might like to know about this:

Right now Qantas has a two-for-one special for the months of Feb-April, for travel from SFO and LAX - must be booked by tonight Wed. the 19th.

Those months are late-summer and shoulder season; October is shoulder season, too, so who knows if Qantas will again put on some promotion?

Good luck.

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM

The Qantas airpasses are also only available ex US/Canada northie.

Dreamer, I have in past years noted around July Qantas and Air NZ having sales for flights about October/NZ, seen them on the mobissimo airfare search site actually, and it usually means the Airpass could be a bit lower, not much though if your $1899 includes taxes - but then you're talking US$ I imagine so that will make it quite a bit higher in $A - our airfares away from peak seasons can be reasonably well priced.

So October being between your summer peak and our summer peak, I'd hang about a bit yet as if with the GE impact, flight bookings are even lower and with price of fuel having plummeted [and my tip is this GE is not going to make a remarkable recovery next year] the airlines will have plenty of room on board and some room with fuel pricing to put some good specials out.

I saw reference a couple of years ago to a post on another site where somehow people from Canada were able to have their tickets booked for them at Australian prices - and if any company were going to be able to swing it, I reckon http://www.bestflights.com.au/ would be a good bet to contact.

If they cannot do it with the Qantas pass, October is also a reasonably quiet local holiday month here and you will also find some good domestic specials for October being flogged about July, so you could register for emails with the likes of Qantas, Jetstar, and Virgin Blue, and for a scan of what normal best prices are, and also sometimes the specials, have a look ay www.webjet.com.au
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Stealing a loaf of bread used to work.