Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Advice on getting October hotel bargains?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're from the UK and will be staying in places as we travel down from San Francisco to LA, with a trip to Vegas, the last two weeks of October - which I presume is low season. Any advice on getting good hotel deals? If I contact hotels directly, are the rates they quote for October likely to be the same as if I book much nearer the time? Many thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't expect too much in the way of bargains. Fall is the best time of year along the coast - the best weather of the year is usually Sept/Oct.

Things won't be as crowded as in high summer simply because there are fewer families traveling. But things will not be empty either. Some properties might loosen up a bit on their 2-night minimums, but few will slash their rates.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:53 AM

In San Francisco October is high season. Maybe you can make a reservation that can be cancelled if you find a better rate? Check hotels' websites, also Expedia, Quikbook, Hotels.com

In Vegas the same, but sign up with each hotel as a member (similar to Fodor's registration, no obligations) - there the hotel rates go down 2-3 months in advance, but October may be a busy month.

For flights in-between check out Southwest airlines. The other San Francisco airpot is Oakland, the price may be much lower.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM

"low" season for Vegas is July ,August because it is so darn HOT..Sometimes Jan will better...
On the west coast--CA,WA,OR. I have found last few years --don't get many bargins untill Nov (skip Dec..)Jan, Feb March. BUT even these months- weekend rates will be higher than weekdays..
Also so many retired people wait untill after summer rush to travel..
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM
SAB

Just another point about October not being low season on the CA coast, many Californians [well I can only speak of Northern CAs] wait until Sept/October to travel in our own state. Better weather, less or no fog on the coast and less tourists, and a big plus for me, less kids.