Notices

San Francisco in October?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Jon

San Francisco in October?

We are thinking of visiting San Francisco in October. Having never been to northern California I was wondering what the weather is like at that time of year? Hot or cool? And how are the crowds at the usual tourist spots? Any help will be appreciated.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:59 PM
paul

At least part of Oct. will usually be sunny and warm, if not hot, in the City. The summer fog pattern has lifted allowing for sustained heating. This gives way at some point to rainy spells and a cooler/wetter winter pattern.

Tourist crowds should be of no concern and, of course, the daylight hours are shortening.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 06:33 PM
x

I agree with Paul - it most likely will be the warmest time of year.
Summer in SF = freeze your hiney off. Sept/Oct = perfect!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 08:22 PM
J Correa

I agree - October is a nice time of year and since most of the kids are back in school and the days are getting shorter, most of the tourists have gone home.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:31 PM
L

The best sunsets on the pacific north coast are in October.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:32 AM
lizbeth

Jon,
As the previous posts indicate, you've chosen one of the best times of year to visit S.F. Late September to mid-October is when we experience our "Indian Summer" in a typical year. That means three to four day stretches of increasing temperatures, then a cool-down of a few days. "Hot" in S.F. means high 80's, no humidity. HOWEVER, it almost never remains hot at night here, so bring a jacket, a sweater to layer under the jacket, and both long and short sleeve tops.
And do keep in mind that "typical" doesn't happen every year. It's not unheard of for the first big rainstorm of the season to blow in around the end of October.
There will always be lines at places like Fisherman's Wharf or the cable car terminals, but not as bad as July or August.