Change in plans - help needed for 19 day itinerary now all in Australia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change in plans -- My husband has a business trip to Japan, Singapore and Australia, ending in Melbourne where I will join him in early November. We had originally planned to divide our 19 full vacation days between Australia & New Zealand, but have decided to spend all our time in Australia instead saving NZ for a future trip.

As a quick intro, we are in our early and mid-60's, in fairly good health except that we each have some back pain, and hiking is out due to hubby’s bad knee, but walking is OK. We want to balance seeing the sights with some downtime to relax here and there. We decided rushing from place to place with an over-ambitious itinerary probably wouldn't suit us.

Tentatively, we were thinking our must see/do would be:
Melbourne sightseeing.
Mini-bus tour of part of Great Ocean Rd or perhaps rent a car to drive all of it.
Fly to Ayers Rock - see Kata Tjuta and Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Maybe go to Kings Canyon or is that too far & is the hike too strenuous?
Sightsee in Alice Springs
Fly to Cairns for Great Barrier Reef snorkeling
Cairns day trip – Kuranda – Skyrail – Tjupukai Aboriginal Cultural Park
Fly to Sydney for sightseeing, harbor cruise, maybe bridge walk?
Maybe Sydney day trip – Blue Mountains, wildlife park or?

Alternatives for the extra week we now aren’t spending in NZ would be to add more time to each location above or more time in Cairns or add another location to the itinerary, Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin (or would that put us back where we started in terms of rushing too much)??

We now have less than a week to plan this before he leaves on business, so all your suggestions and advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Hi B_and_B,
A sensible move to spend all the time in Aus and make a separate trip to NZ. Just don't forget to come back downunder to NZ, though!

I would certainly add more time to Cairns which would then enable you to take a day trip to the Atherton Tablelands, and perhaps another day for going north of Cairns. Plus of course, you do need time to have a look around Cairns itself and absorb the atmosphere. The cafes along the Esplanade are great for this and for pure relaxation, too.

I can't remember how long you are in Alice for but maybe you could add a day or two here as well.

Adelaide would be another option from the point of view of something slightly different. I have had two quick trips (2 and a half days then 3 days) to Adelaide and found there was lots to see and do. Walk along the Memorial Mile to learn some of the history of South Australia, stroll around the city, visit the Adelaide Oval (a beautiful cricket ground important in Australian cricket history as the home of Sir Donald Bradman), take a trip to Hahndorff, vineyards, etc. We did a tour that had about 4 vineyards, and included a dam that has the most amazing piece of engineering - a curved wall that carries a voice from one end to the other, but the name of this place escapes me. This day was worthwhile, as we are not really into spending all day checking out vineyards.
Check out this link: www.southaustralia.com/

By the way, I fit your profile almost to a t, so feel what I have suggested will be more than easily accomplishable.

Good luck with your planning and travels.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Dotty - Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering about Adelaide.

Don't worry - NZ will definitely be on the list for a visit.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 01:48 PM

I would recommend more time in Cairns and then fly down to Brisbane and visit Lamington National Park for the day hikes and wildlife. We stayed at O'Reillys but that was some years ago.

We spent 5 days around Cairns and in hindsight could have spent more time in the Tablelands and north of Cairns. We also had a reef trip booked before we went (Wavelength) and had such a good time booked another day trip when we got back on one of the Quicksilver catamaran day trips. We were really happy we did both reef trips since they were very different.

Are you spending enough time in Sydney. We did 2 nights in the Blue Mts and loved it and Sydney is at least 2 days itself.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM

If you have a car consider staying elsehwere than downtown Cairns. Like a bed and breakfast or even somewhere on the tablelands or Trinity beach.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 03:04 PM

1. How about driving all the way from Melbourne to Adelaide and then maybe going to Kangaroo Island, either by ferry or plane? On the way, you could visit the Coonawarra wine region, if you are into wineries and/or Naracoort with its World Heritage Naracoort Caves and fossils. We've been to Adelaide a couple of times and enjoyed it very much. You could stay in Adelaide or nearby in the coastal town, Glenelg, which is a short tram ride from Adelaide. We've stayed in both places and enjoyed each of them for different reasons.
2. I'd probably skip Kings Canyon since your hubby has knee problems. The hike around the rim isn't bad, but as I recall, the ascent to the rim walk is quite steep and would not be good for someone with knee problems.
3. I would also probably skip Darwin because it will be The Wet in November. I really enjoy Darwin and the environs, but I have only been there in July and August (The Dry). It will be both hot and humid in November and you may find you can't do some neat stuff (e.g. swimming at Litchfield NP) because of the weather.
Old Oct 15th, 2010, 09:50 PM

I've posted on your other thread.

At Kings conyon th eclimb up to and down from the rim is a series of steps mad by the local prisoners. How is he with steps. The way the rocks have eroded makes them a series of steps as well.

You can walk into the Canyon on a very flat trail and there are helicopter rides as well.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Kings Canyon is great – but the best way to see it does require a pretty vigorous walk, up and down a lot of steps – several hundred at least. Others may have a different opinion, but think hard about whether Kings Canyon is for you.
The walk right around the base of Ularu is about 6 km of level going. The Valley of the Winds walk at Kata Tjuta is quite hard going, but there are shorter walks there that are lovely.

I’m a bit of a nut case when it comes to Ularu and Kata Tjuta – I love both places, and find them quite spiritual. Take time out to just sit in the sand there – it is like a red Tatami mat!

It is worth hiring a car at Yulara – otherwise you are stuck with tour groups, and you only need something small. And do take time for the visitor centre at Ularu, and admire the architecture. It’s one of Australia’s great buildings.
When we were last there, a couple of women from the local Aboriginal community were painting. If you stand and watch them, they will ignore you, but if you sit down with them, than they will talk. They were fun.

Aboriginals see it as a mark of disrespect to look directly at a person when they talk with them. Europeans see it as a mark of disrespect to NOT look at the person that they are talking with. It’s those cultural differences that make travel worthwhile.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Well I would always put my hand up for someone to visit Brisbane - being a Brissie girl, born and bred.

It's the gateway to a lot of great destinations such as Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast but something you might be interested in is North Stradbroke Island. I actually have a view of the island from my deck and it is a popular spot, particularly for whale watching.

Nearby too, is Australia Zoo, which may interest you. I enjoyed my visit there and you are able to get up close and personal with the elephants there which was a treat for me. Of course there is the Crocoseum where they have the crocodile show etc.

Nearby too, is the Australian Outback Spectacular, which I went to see recently - it really is a fabulous show that features our beautiful outback and the horses and riding is outstanding. This is their new show that incorporates the story of our Light Horse Brigade from World War 1. Very well done indeed.

If you decide to Brisbane on the agenda let me know and I'll see what I can come up with for you.

I am in full agreeance with Peter_S_Aus regarding Uluru and Kata Tjuta. The Kings Canyon walk can be strenuous but I have seen older folk doing it with walking sticks - it would be a shame to miss it as it is probably my favourite place on the planet.

Actually Peter, I found the Valley of the Winds walk at Kata Tjuta a bit hard going too. But like you Peter I love the spirituality of our beautiful Red Centre - and I hope you find it too B&B.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:05 PM

stormbird, I am envious about your view of N.Stradbroke Island. I still remember the lovely day we spent there looking around, and the peculiarly squeaky sand in just one area.
I enjoy Brissie as a great place to look around and relax - I guess having my little sister there helps, too! There is much to cater for all interests in Brisbane, B&B. I'm sorry I didn't think of suggesting it earlier.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Yes the view when you turn into the top of our street is lovely - especially on a beautiful day - sailing boats are out, the water is blue, blue, blue and the islands look lovely.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 10:32 PM

Hi B, as a resident of South Australia I have to put in my vote for SA!
The option of driving along the great ocean Road is a good one, and if you are remotely in to wines you will, as suggested above, pass through the very popular Coonawarra once you reach SA.
Adelaide itself is a pretty city and if you have time to go a little further afield the Flinders Ranges are my favorite part of our state. Slightly closer to Adelaide (3 hours? Approx) is the rarely mentioned here Yorke Peninsula, spectacular coastal scenery and well worth a ocouple of days. The Mclaren vale wine region (where we live!) is very scenic and close to more beautiful beaches - has a nice Sat am farmer's market at Willunga - and is a good spot to then continue on to Kangaroo Island from if you want.
The Adelaide Hills are also very beautiful and because of their proximity to Adelaide are probably more favored by international visitors than the Flinders and Yorke Peninsula but the latter are unique.
Adelaide's Central Market is also well renowned if you are a foodie!
Wherever you go have a wonderful time in Australia and if you have any SA specific questions I am more than happy to help out.

By the way Dotty, it is the Whispering Wall you are remembering!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM

There is NO WAY I would be going to the Centre in November, the heat, not to mention the flies, will be dreadful. If you are inclined to see some of the outback then you can do that from Cairns either by going on the Savanna Lander train (name??) or going out to the Undara Lava Tubes. There is plenty of Aboriginal content in North Queensland if that is of interest and if it were me I would be spending more time in and around the Cairns area, flying south and perhaps doing what Stormbird has suggested and seeing Stradbroke Island or Morton Island for that matter, going to the beautiful Gold Coast hinterland National parks and getting the most from your buck like the suggestions from both Stormbird and KengingtonGirl.
Certainly Sydney is a must but the centre of Australia ........ absolutely not. Ask youself if you would want to walk across death valley in summer if you want a comparison.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM

This week's forecast for Ayers Rock is 33-35
http://www.weather.com.au/nt/uluru

With a dodgy knee, I imagine you will be "lookers" rather than "doers". As I said on the other thread, you will be going from AC Plane to AC Accommodation to AC Bus. If you are sensible and stay within you capabilities you will be fine. It is definitely, worth of a look. The tours tend to go early morning and late afternoon when it is cooler. Sunset will be around 7.30-8.00pm. Stay out of the main heat from 11 - 3.

The place is Magical, and is well worth being hot for a few hours.

I would walk across Death Valley in Summer. IF it was the only time I could visit AND I had plenty of Water/Sunscreen/Big Hat/Guide AND I had comfortable transport and accommodation waiting for me.

Peter_S_Aus and Stormbird - You must be getting old.
The Valley of the Winds walk was piece of cake after climbing Ayers Rock and spending three hours walking the length and breadth of it on top.
(Private joke everyone.)
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 06:29 PM

Pete, the Valley of the Winds was not all that hard - but I'd cycled about 5,000 km to get there. But the path is pretty rough.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM

It seems to me to get over rated and put in the "Hard or Difficult" category. I suppose if it was really hot and you were not used to walking, it would be. More tourists, than walkers.

The gravel is a bit chunky for strolling.