Search

14 days In Australia

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:24 PM
Colin

14 days In Australia

Hi. I want to go to Australia next June for 14 days. I have an itinerary made and I would like feedback. 4 Days Sydney, 4 Days Adelaide, 4 Days Melbourne, 2 Days Queensland/Great Barrier Reef. I would like to see Brisbane and Snorkel the Great Barrier reef is their any way I can do this. Thank you.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:29 PM
ARthur

G'day Colin<BR><BR>Firstly because you have so little time you really don't want to spend it just travelling from one place to another so I would take out Melbourne and Adelaide for a state and concentrate on the GBR and Sydney. In comparison to Sydney you most certainly would not need anywhere near 4 days for Melbourne and Adelaide ( particularly the latter) and you really need all that time on the GBR and in Sydney. Don't overdo your trip and try and see everything or you will miss out on a lot of things you shouldn't.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:57 PM
Alan

Hi, Colin!<BR><BR>Arthur is 100% correct. Maybe do 6 days in Sydney and spend one of those days on a day-trip to Canberra. Then fly to Brisbane for another 3 days, take the train north and spend the rest of your time at the reef. You'll have a ball.

Old May 4th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Nicole

It all depends on what you are interested in seeing...if you are into cities and culture, the itinerary you have will be ok. If you want more scenery and adventure, you may want to make some changes. I spent several months in Australia a couple years ago and what I would recommend is 3-4 days in Sydney (I thought it was a beautiful city but I'm not so into city-type sightseeing so got bored after 2 days. If you are into that stuff, add a couple of days). I would cut out at least Adelaide or Melbourne. I went to Melbourne and found it to be very cosmopolitan but very much of a city with not much more than shopping/dining. I did also go down the Great Ocean Road for 3 days and had a great time. If you want to do that then 4 days in Melbourne is good. Otherwise I might cut it out. I didn't go to Adelaide but have heard good things about it. I don't think I'd put it above the GBR and other natural wonders Australia has, however. If you like outdoors at all, I would cut one of the cities out (or 2) and add 4-5 days in Darwin/Kadadu National Park. This was my favorite thing by far in Australia. I went there in June which seemed to be the best time of year to go. It's the end of the wet season so you can go to all the sights and waterfalls, but since it's the very beginning of the dry season everything is still very green and the waterfalls are flowing a lot. Kakadu was where Crocodile Dundee was filmed, if you want an idea of the kind of scenery. You will also see a lot of aboriginal rock art. Spend a night in Darwin and do a 3 day trip to Kakadu (many tour companies do this trip, including equipment and food and everything else). I agree with the poster who said add time to see the GBR. I may be wrong, but I don't think there is much good reef to see near Brisbane. You need to go farther North for that. At that time of year it will also be pretty cold in Brisbane. Better to spend time I think in the Whitsundays (3 days, try to do a sailing trip if you can) and either Cairns or Port Douglas for 3 days. You might also want to see the Daintree Rainforest when you're up there. Have a great time, Australia is amazing. I'm still trying to find a way to go back...

Old May 5th, 2002, 11:40 AM
carl bauer

Best Barrier Reef visits are out of Cairns or Port Douglas in QLD, not out of Brisbane or Gold Coast. You have a good plan, but Brisbane is another big city, skip this go to Cairns instead for the Reef. And I sure agree with Arthur. Cities are cities.