Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Train from Sydney to Cairns--are we crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:57 AM
mariet

Hello all,<BR>My family (2 adults/2 kids) is heading to Australia in August for about 3 weeks, focusing primarily on Sydney and the Reef. We're thinking about taking the train(s) one-way from Sydney up to Cairns, mainly to get a view of the countryside without having to drive that incredible distance. So are we crazy to attempt this? Are the trains comfortable and efficient, or are they more in the "milk-run" tradition? Would we be better off driving? We'll be flying from Cairns back to Sydney and out from there. Thanks for your views!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:39 PM
LIZ

I don't know what your yardstick is when you ask if the trains are "milkrun" style. However if you are coming from the US then think Amtrak without the heavy price tag or Greyhound buses which rate at about as low as you can go, then the trains are about 1,000 times better. <BR>Sydney to Brisbane is a really nice trip even though you miss some nice countryside overnight. Brisbane to Cairns is a long way but also very nice I think with the exception of a couple of areas of boring countryside. If possible you should try to have a stopover in either Brisbane or perhaps Prosepine ( you could go to the Whitsundays from there) if you can get a ticket which will do that. <BR>It is certainly well worth getting a sleeper from Brisbane to Cairns because you should be able to get a compartment for the whole family and therefore you can do what you want in it when you want to. All sleeper compartments have en suites and w/c and the conductor arrives in the morning with either a cup of tea or coffee for you on arrival at your destinations. <BR>Depending when you are going this would be a lovely trip ONLY if you like train travel. The food on the trains is quite nice. <BR>If you want an alternative to this you could think of taking the train from Syd - Bris. Stay one day/ night there and then take the Spirit of Capricorn ( faster small rail motor train) to Rockhampton and then fly from Rockhampton to Cairns. Rocky is an unremarkable cow town but the little rail motor that plies from Brisbane to there is a nice train with aeroplane seats, and staff coming through with light meals and beverages every hour or so. That is a nice trip and is made ( I am pretty sure of this) during daylight hours so that you get so see the countryside.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 12:40 PM
LIZ

I don't know what your yardstick is when you ask if the trains are "milkrun" style. However if you are coming from the US then think Amtrak without the heavy price tag or Greyhound buses which rate at about as low as you can go, then the trains are about 1,000 times better. <BR>Sydney to Brisbane is a really nice trip even though you miss some nice countryside overnight. Brisbane to Cairns is a long way but also very nice I think with the exception of a couple of areas of boring countryside. If possible you should try to have a stopover in either Brisbane or perhaps Prosepine ( you could go to the Whitsundays from there) if you can get a ticket which will do that. <BR>It is certainly well worth getting a sleeper from Brisbane to Cairns because you should be able to get a compartment for the whole family and therefore you can do what you want in it when you want to. All sleeper compartments have en suites and w/c and the conductor arrives in the morning with either a cup of tea or coffee for you on arrival at your destinations. <BR>Depending when you are going this would be a lovely trip ONLY if you like train travel. The food on the trains is quite nice. <BR>If you want an alternative to this you could think of taking the train from Syd - Bris. Stay one day/ night there and then take the Spirit of Capricorn ( faster small rail motor train) to Rockhampton and then fly from Rockhampton to Cairns. Rocky is an unremarkable cow town but the little rail motor that plies from Brisbane to there is a nice train with aeroplane reclining seats, and staff coming through with light meals and beverages every hour or so. That is a nice trip and is made ( I am pretty sure of this) during daylight hours so that you get so see the countryside. Costs about $60AU from Brisbane to Rocky I think

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Lin

Last year we took the Spirit of Capricorn from Brisbane to Gladstone and found it was very long journey. (Mind you a woman sitting by us had an ill tempered child, which didn't help.) I think it would be a long trip with kids. Liz's suggestion of a stopover in Brisbane would really help. You can also take the tilt train (high speed)from Brisbane but I'm not sure how far north it goes since we were only boarding in Gladstone for our return trip. Liz, you can probably help here??

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Liz

I am not too sure about this myself as things have changed with the advent of the tilt train ( how much faster it goes is a moot point though) <BR>There is a website for Queensland trains so perhaps you could either search for State Government Railways Queensland - Queensland trains - or something like that which should answer all those questions. I will have a look myself when I have some time.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 01:52 PM
liz

Here is the site for you for Queensland Railways. <BR><BR>http://qroti.bit.net.au/traveltrain/<BR><BR>All the best <BR><BR>Liz<BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:21 PM
mariet

Lin and Liz,<BR>Thanks very much to you both for your advice, particularly on which trains to take. I'll look further into the QLD rail site--I recall seeing info on the Spirit of Capricorn, but not on the tilt train. Any other words of wisdom gladly taken!

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:10 PM
McH

Mariet,<BR><BR>As some other posting said, do this long journey ONLY if you really like train traveling.<BR><BR>I consider myself a big fan of trains, but I have to tell you that I did this route in Sept and I took a good 4 weeks to do it, as there is a lot to see in between.<BR><BR>So maybe trying to get a cheap internal flight would be an alternative if you think you or your kids would get bored after some hours in the train. Maybe a little shopping around in some travel agencies in Sydney could help your decision.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>McH

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Michael

My wife and I took the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth. I loved it she hated it. Four years later, in 1992, we took the Queenslander from Brisbane to Cairns. SHE LOVED IT. One night on the train, and we had an 11 month old and a mother-in-law (really a very nice lady). This was one nice train, good scenery, good food, good company. The sleeper did not hurt one bit. I highly recommend it. But, like so many of my train recommendations, I warn you...I LOVE TRAINS!

Old May 5th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Michael

Post script: I forgot to mention. We are planning our third trip to Australia this July. I want to take the Ghan from Sydney to Alice Springs, but these chat sites offer little support.