Search

Indian Pacific Railway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indian Pacific Railway

Hi,
My wife and I will be visiting Perth mid-Feb this year, along with our son, aged 18 months.
We depart Australia from Melbourne, and as part of our trip we considered going cross country on the train.
I would be glad of some feedback from anyone who has made this trip.
It is expensive, so we really need to enjoy!

Also - as we booked our flights spontaneously over christmas, we have a blank 3 week itinary. We have vistited Austalia before, but not WA. We plan (loosely) to stay 1 week in Perth, 1 in Adelaide, and one in the Melbourne area. Any highlights that we shouldn't miss?
We don't/can't travel long distances as we did on previous trip - son gets bored!

As we are escaping the wetest Irish winter for some time (and that is saying something), we will want some beach time. We stayed in cabins on campsites last time, and hope to do the same again.

Many Thanks
time
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 02:43 AM

I think you are a bit confused here. You say that you you can't travel long distances (presumably because of infant) but the Indian Pacific is a 3 night train trip Perth, Adelaide, Sydney. You don't even mention going to Sydney in your post and if you want to end up in Melbourne you would need to be change trains in Adelaide and would still have a third night o board. Personally, I think 3 days on a train with an 18 month old could easily be a disaster in the making.

I would defintely be checking out the airfares between each destination. It is really the only way to do it, at least between Perth and Adelaide. (See wwww.webjet.com.au to compare prices and subscribe to be notified of specials)

If you like you could hire a car in Adelaide and drive to Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road. If you took 3-4 days doing it, you would not be rushing it. You could even stop in say, Port Fairy or Apollo Bay, for 2-3 nights and have a nice beach break with your child.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback - I will check out Appollo Bay / Port Fairy. Did the Great Ocean Road last time - and it really is fantastic.
We have no plans to go to Sidney this time - we spent a good deal of our last trip there. Had thought of taking the 2 1/2 day trip by train to Adelaide from Perth - the trains have cabins, and lounge areas etc. (still have a thought that you may be correct though and will check out the air options). Want to spend a but more time in Adelaide/Melbourne.
Would love to here from anyone who has made the train journey.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 08:28 AM

time 3200, I took the IP (gold kangaroo) from Sydney to Perth last April. What a wonderful trip! It is not boring at all, I met some really nice people and the food was great. The service on board was quite good (this is Australia: why expect otherwise?)

Now from an 18 mo. perspective- [obviously I don't know your son] but he might just find walking up and down the cars to meals and lounge fun, watching out the window might very well occupy him for a while. There is just so much to explore in the cabin and the train, I think it will keep him occupied for quite a while. And he may find sleeping with the gentle rocking/click-clack of the train really comforting. No change in air pressure like a plane either (how does he do on a plane). I'd take him; but then we took our kids traveling from 3 mos. on plenty of trips.

happy to answer any specific questions you may have about the train. http://www.gsr.com.au/
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM

The trip (one way) is fascinating.

You'll get a feel for the distances in Australia, and see just how much different the landscape is from Ireland. (You'd think different planets!)

I'd go first class - you'll welcome the extra space and comfort with the little one (and yourself).

If you have the time and the money - I'd certainly recommend doing one way - just to experience that vastness.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:46 AM

I've not done that journey by train. My long distance experience was only Alice to Adelaide.

But if the grown ups want to do it - then good on ya. Why not? And the little one will be less confined than in a plane or a car - and he won't remember anything about it anyway - so if you can handle keeping him entertained then I'd go for it.

Cos it is so refreshing to see a post here like that.

Things/places not to miss. You will have to factor in the little one and do the research. I'm just tossing out ideas.

First: Rottnest Island - go stay a few days - traffic free; great beaches; close to Perth - no idea re accommo with a baby.

ADL - a week is too long unless you want to go to Kangaroo Island, or it's Festival time (if you are interested in that sort of stuff) - but it isn't - next one 2008.

Do you mean that cos of the child you will stay for 7 days in the same place in ADL and MLB? If it does then your question re must sees relates only to the cities.

Is that what you intend?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:44 AM

Hi all,
I'm the other half of this trip, and without taking over my husband's post, just wanted to say thanks for your replies, and add a comment.
The Indian Pacific just strikes us as the right way to really get a feel for Australia. Someone introduced me to 'My Country' about 7 or 8 years ago, this is what we want to experience (it's our third trip to Australia, but first time to travel overland)

"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Country

It's funny, we spent a month in Australia on honeymoon almost 4 years ago, and didn't consider the train then, but for this trip it's really appealing. We've read all the negative posts, but it's still not putting us off. Stubborn or stupid we are, I'm not sure which...

Anna
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:11 AM

Hi to fuzzylogic,
Thanks for your reply and good suggestions. Just wanted to reply to your question about our staying for up to 7 nights in one place. Seven nights would probably be the maximum. Our thought is that we should plan to stay probably 4 nights in each of a variety of locations, base ourselves there and take day trips as the mood takes us. We know this type of format works for us, and it will make things easier for our little boy. We have 23 nights accommodation to find, and need to book pretty much all of it in advance to be sure of having cot and suitable facilities (no winging it like we sometimes did on our last trip, suddenly it's 5pm and we don't yet have anywhere to lay our heads that night...).

On our previous trip, the accommodations we really enjoyed were the following - a total mixture of styles and budgets, so we'd like to experience something similar which lets us experience some new things and new places:
- 7 nights camper van (Melb to Adelaide via Great Ocean Road)
- 4 nights Noosa Blue http://www.noosablue.com.au/
- 3 nights Adelaide Shores (cabin)
http://www.big4.com.au/public/index....amp;parkid=248
- 5 nights Sebel Reef Townhouse http://www.reefhouse.com.au/

We fly into Perth mid February, and out of Melbourne early March. We had thought of staying about 8 nights (two locations, still searching) in WA before taking the Indian Pacific (2 nights) to Adelaide for 3 nights (have friends there). After than, the agenda is totally flexible for about 7 nights. We could take a flight to Queensland and take in something special up there, for example. We want to spend our last 4 nights or so close to Melbourne (possibly Mornington Peninsula) and we're looking for somewhere really nice to stay, icing on the cake before we go home. Nice doesn't have to mean five star, there are plenty of other definitions of special. Would love to hear some of your suggestions.

Anna
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:54 AM

Time3200--I haven't actually made the trip from Adelaide to Perth on the Indian Pacific train, but we did come awfully close to doing so. When we were living in Australia, my husband was very keen to make this trip with me and our two children (then aged 14 and 11 years). Even though we all enjoy trains and scenery and can easily occupy our time with books and games, I thought that it might be an even too long and boring trip for us. Before we booked the trip, my sister-in-law gave us a video documentary about a trip on the Indian Pacific Railway. The video was only about 1 hour long, but all of us (even my enthusiastic husband) were totally bored watching these people just watching scenery for hours on end or listening to some guy play his bagpipes! Please, reconsider this trip with your wife and toddler. As a mother of two, I know that you would be spending all your time trying to entertain the 18-month-old so that he wasn't disturbing the other passengers. (It's doubtful he will sleep that much and I also doubt that the passengers will enjoy him running up and down the aisles.) Your time and money will be much better spent on a leisurely drive from Melbourne to Adelaide and then a flight to Perth.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 01:47 PM

We did the Indian Pacific from Adelaide to Perth last November. Since this was our third trip, we also were determined to see yet "another side" of Australia and decided to take the train. We splurged on Gold Kangaroo class and had a great time. That being said, I'm not too sure about your 18 month old. It's awfully close quarters, even in Gold Kangaroo and I'm afraid that after several hours, he might be bored. Keep in mind that you're on a train and there's not really any wide open spaces. You're pretty much crammed into very tight spaces with many people for a considerable time. There's not really any planned activities other than meals so I'd suggest packing a little bag of "fun" for your 18 month old. Better to be safe than sorry-- also, if you can manage it, try to visit Kangaroo Island when you arrive in Adelaide. It was one of our favorites!