Austraila Trip help

Sep 30th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Austraila Trip help

We only have 10 days in Austraila. Should we do Melbourne,Hobart,Sydney.( Or
Sydney, Cairns, Kuranda, The rock and back to Sydney?

We would fly between locations.

Or are we doing to much in such a short time?

Thanks
Bruce
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Hi Bruce,
I haven't been to Australia yet, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

You should be able to do Melbourne, Hobart and Sydney in 10 days, but it would be rushed. Most people recommend spending a minimum of 7-10 days in Tasmania alone. But it is possible.

You are likely to have a better time if you choose two of Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart, Cairns and then add on Uluru (2 days) if desired.
Sep 30th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Sorry but I would say Sydney and surrounds and Cairns. By the time you get over jet lag thats one day - getting to Cairns is another day by the time you get to airports etc - then getting back from Cairns is another day so really you are looking at 8 days at most unless you want to see only airports and planes. Melbourne is not a particularly unique city tho'Sydney is. Cairns has the GBR and that in itself is enough for one week - the Rock, well its a rock and unless you fly into Ayers Rock and not Alice Springs its a long way from the airport and you cannot fly into it from everywhere.
Where are you from? What time of year are you going to be here?
Sep 30th, 2005, 11:11 PM

Hi Bhammer,
As Liz rightly says your 'real tme' will be probably around 8 days if you take out flying. There are a few things you could consider.
1. Limit the destinations to 2, you really don't want to spend your time in airports.
2.You could Visit Sydney for aprox 3-4 days and the rest in Cairns area, that can take in Kuranda and the many great things to see up there.

But the key improvement to your itinary could be to fly into Sydney and out of Cairns,'open jaw' tickets are a great way of limiting the internal flights. This will certainly cut a days travelling out.

Realistically you shouldn't try to cram everything into such a short time, people really do underestimate the effects of tiredness, caused by jetlag and also a solid day of walking, especially when not being quite used to it.

Good Luck

Muck
Oct 1st, 2005, 01:06 AM

Hi Bruce,
I'm a little confused - gathered from your earlier post that you're flying into Melbourne with 2 days in Hobart & Syd. Is this correct?

"Author: Bhammer ([email protected])
Date: 09/29/2005, 11:07 pm
My wife and I will be flying to Melbourne for 2-3 days (We need some advice for a tour company and what to do while we are there. Then we were going to go to Holbart for 2 days (again need some advice or tour company or what to do) then over to Sydney for 2 days
Thanks
Bruce"

Is this a firm part of your 10 days or are you still in the planning stage?

Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone we are in the planning stages. We are flying into Sydney.(that's for sure) We were thinking of going to Melbourne and to Hobart. We cannot do an open jog and fly home from Cairns. From what I am hearing we should stay in Sydney and
fly to Cairns for 3 days. and explore that area. How hot will it be in Dec and Jan up there?
Thanks
Bruce
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM

You should do Sydney and Cairns. If you have only 10 days, don't put too much in it, you will regret it. There is so much to do in and around Sydney and in the Cairns area, you want to make sure you have enough time.
For Cairns, definitely do the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree/Cape Tribulation National Park. If you feel like it, you can also do the Kuranda, however I would leave one day open for now, just in case the weather is not 100% for the reef.
It will be very hot and humid in the North and there is a chance of (a lot) rain. I actually prefer the wet season (November - June) in the North, just because it is much greener in the rainforest and the water out on the reef is up to 30C warm. Remember that without the rain, you would not have the beautiful rainforest up there.
If you need more info or links to tours, just visit
www.wonderfulaustralia.com

Enjoy your trip!! You will have a great time.
Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:52 PM

I suggest for the time available you limit it to Sydney and Cairns area ( and even Cairns at that time is questionable in regard to weather) but stay away from the Rock at that time as it will be sweltering and swarming with flies. It is very interesting imo but you need much more time and more acceptable weather. You will have plenty to do in your8/10 days if you limit it to two areas. Have fun what ever you decide on.