Celebrating New Year in ydney

Old Nov 15th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Celebrating New Year in ydney

Hi All,
I'm interested in getting advice on traveling to Sydney, Australia and celebrating the new year there. This will be my 1st trip to the area and I"ll be traveling solo. I'm looking at sppending about 10 days there.

Need recommendation on getting started with trip planning, how to find new year clebration events that a solo traveler can attend. And any general information that would help me to have a safe & enjoyable trip.
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

sorry folks, did this in a hurry at work.....that should read "Celebrating New Year in Sydney"
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM

Hi cynthia719,

here's a link to get you started:

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/nye/2010/

This is basic information about the events put on by the city including the fireworks displays. Book your accommodation ASAP, it may be too late already to find anywhere good!

Lavandula
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 02:56 AM

Have been thinking about your situation on NYE - I am not sure if I'd recommend braving the crowds along the foreshores for a single female traveller. Particularly in the Rocks there are huge crowds, and sometimes there are brawls and broken glass (alcohol coupled with people trying to get a better position, etc). Lots of the big hotels put on festivities and some hotels have a view of the bridge (the harbour as you guessed is the focal point of the evening, and especially so the Bridge, which is lit with fireworks), so whatever you do, find somewhere with a good view of the Bridge.

Lavandula
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lavandula,
What about traveling solo for the rest of my stay after new year's is it pretty safe for me to move about on my own or should I try to get a tour?
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Hi again,

I would think of most places in Australia as pretty safe for a solo traveller, especially the cities. That is, no danger from other folks! So I wouldn't really hesitate to go on my own. Having said that, I would never go bushwalking on my own, it's not recommended because of the risk of wandering off the track and getting lost. If you do go bushwalking, always check in with the police or the rangers beforehand so they know how long you'll be away for, and take adequate supplies. I am reminded of the young German who decided (unusually) to drive a famous cattle-droving track in WA (this happened about 3 - 4 yrs ago), and who took with him only a slab of beer and some muesli bars. He failed to observe a) that the track was an unpaved road, suitable only for a 4-wheel drive and b) would take at least 6 days to complete. He had expected to complete it in a few hours and so was completely unprepared, and wound up in difficulties. He was fortunately able to be rescued. It just shows that it is easy to misjudge what looks on the map like an okay road. If you are driving alone and are somewhere remote, always stay with your vehicle if it breaks down. A plane can spot a car easily, which is not the case with a human being.

We do have young travellers who take risks and wind up in trouble on a regular basis - but again they take risks. I don't think this sounds likely with you. Don't go hitchhiking, though, I'd consider that an unacceptable risk too. Basically don't do here what you wouldn't do at home!

Lavandula
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Cynthia,

I second Lavandula's advice about not going to the Rocks by yourself on New Years Eve. It is crowded and full of drunk yobbos. Maybe the biggest danger is being vomited on but either way it is pretty unpleasant. However there are other options that might suit. Here is a nother link with some organised events.

http://www.newyearseve.com.au/sydney.html

I do not know what you budget is like but all the restaurants around Circular Quay have New Year's Specials and some of these may be an appropriate way for you to enjoy the celebrations and see the fireworks. There are other harbour parks around where you can see fireworks but you need to get to the best spots early in the day to get a good spot. Fine if you are with s group of friends but not something I would recommend on your own. If you can get oin a boat then I would recommend that.

Regarding travelling around on your own after New Year's, you should be perfectly safe if you follow normal safety habits in any big city.

If you go to a beach please make sure you swim between the flags. If you want to do a bushwalk then there are plenty of guided options you could take. There are many tracks by the harbour foreshore though that would be safe to walk on your own as they are well patronised. Let me know if you want any more specific information. I live in Sydney.
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM

Well, now I'm getting nervous! Our family of 4 will be in Sydney for NYE, paying a small fortune to stay in CBD for minimum stay required so that we can see the fireworks.

Exactly how early does one have to get to the place you want to watch fireworks at? I was thinking of the two venues open for public viewing in the Botanic Gardens Trust? We just don't have the funds to pay for the pricey affairs, like "Lawn with the View" for $200 each! So, when would we have to arrive?
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Some people arrive early in the morning with picnic blankets or deckchairs and sit on their spot like they were hatching an egg. Somehow I never did that - I used to go to McKell Park in Darling Point just on the evening and get sort of glimpses of the fireworks, jostling with others for the view. McMahon's Point (on the north side of the harbour) is another spot that's really quite good, but the road into that area is closed so you would have to walk from North Sydney Station. I don't bother anymore, we have a little one at home now and so we just watch the fireworks on TV. I've seen plenty over the years! But to come back to your enquiry - anywhere close to the city with a good view will have campers on it by the morning of NYE. If you're with a group or family I would take my chances around Mrs Macquarie's Chair or Botanical Gardens. You'll see wherever people are set up that that's an appropriate vantage point. Lots of people, no worries about being in the park after dark. I would also pack a light long-sleeved top and jeans because this year we have had a lot of cool, rainy weather and if you're standing around at night it'll be chilly (La Nina weather effect). In an ideal situation you might look for a restaurant that isn't booked out with a view of the harbour, but you'd have to rush. Do check out the atmosphere in the Rocks in the early part of the evening, it's only later that it gets rough due to the grog. I might also add that if you have young uns there is a special fireworks display for the children at 9pm, so you can say you've seen the fireworks and then take them off home to bed. It's not quite as spectacular as the main event but still quite good.

Lavandula
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM

In terms of how early you would probably want to be set up in a spot around 6ish if you are in one of the better vantage point parks. Be aware that many roads are closed into the popular parks and you may have to walk quite a way. You wil l most likely need to take a picnic. It is quite a fun night if you are in the mo he re family style parks and everyone is usually pretty friendly. The fireworks are always good. My favourite times though have been when I have been on a boat, but they have always been friends' boats.
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Sydney is full of lone travellers on NYE.
Can't comment on the Rocks but by the opera house it was fine.

We were there for the 04/05 fireworks with 2 teenaged children, we didn't feel threatened at all. It is very well organised, various areas around the opera house are gated and limited numbers of people let in.

As we had teenagers and the NYE fireworks were a main objective, we decided to hit our plot at around midday. Probably far too early but we had the best view, sat on the harbour wall along side the opera house, facing the bridge. We took food and picknicked and generally absorbed the atmosphere of the build up.

As the time approached there was an old Indian woman who pleaded with us to let her sit down as she was tired. Hah, I told her to bugger off elsewhere as we had been sat there for many hours. She moved up the queue and persuaded someone to let her sit down, within 5 mins her whole family had sat there too pushing the original owners of the spot out. Be aware !

But you don't need to be there so early if your alone,6 ish is fine. Remember the fireworks are in the sky and on the bridge, as long as you can see those you will be fine.

You don't need to pay $$ to sit on lawns, there are plenty of places to see.

In saying that there are many hundreds of thousands of people there so you need to have a plan of where you should be and take care as you would in any similar situation.

enjoy, it's a great experience.

Muck
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

you guys are awesome! Thanks so much for helping understand how to have the best NYE experience.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 05:20 AM

The New Year I spent in Australia I went to a Sydney suburb for the fireworks... Near the Balmain East ferry wharf there's a grassy area... It was filled with locals with BBQs! Quite amazing! And fun to be with Aussies and not in a jammed pack tourist crowd.
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 05:20 AM

The New Year I spent in Australia I went to a Sydney suburb for the fireworks... Near the Balmain East ferry wharf there's a grassy area... It was filled with locals with BBQs! Quite amazing! And fun to be with Aussies and not in a jammed pack tourist crowd.