Carry-on Baggage Limitations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to New Zealand & Australia in March, 2015. I understand that Air New Zealand and Virgin Australia are VERY strict when it comes to baggage limitations. I am bringing camera equipment and a laptop that I absolutely DO NOT want to check yet the 15 lbs. limit is very challenging. I would like some suggestions/input on techniques that others have used to offset this overly restrictive policy. One thought I have is to wear cargo pants and a vest to carry some items on my person rather than my carry-on. Does anyone have experience or suggestions? Thanks in advance ...
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 10:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You posted about this in September.
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Asking a different question this time ... I guess I should have tagged onto the original.
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 02:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
You are allowed a separate lap-top bag as your personal item in addition to your carry-on bag. My DH loads his back-pack up with his lap-top, camera, cables, etc to of tens weighs more than the carryon does. His carryon weighs 7kg. Sometimes if you are flying out of Auckland the back-pack will get weighed but not for internal flights.
Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 05:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...age-limits.cfm

so folks don't reinvent the wheel . . .
Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

I should have been more specific in my request. I was looking for some hints on how to distribute the weight in order to keep my carry-on under the limit. All of the advice previously was helpful; however, I want to avoid any surprises if I do get weighed. Therefore, I was looking for some "experienced" travelers' hints, e.g. loading up my cargo pants since they don't tend to weigh the traveler.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 05:05 PM

Just remember that every time you go through check-in you will have to empty your pockets. Is it worth it? I suggest you do contact AirNZ in New Zealand on the phone number given on your last posting. Good luck.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 08:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Here's another thought: trim your carry on goods to fit the allowance, like I and many other "experienced travellers" or even experienced travellers, manage to do on a regular basis.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 11:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Flying in a premium class would do it. Status with a participating airline alliance helps too.

Air NZ:

•Business Class, Premium Economy* & connecting Business Class customers, Air New Zealand Elite**, Gold and Star Alliance Gold customers are permitted to carry two pieces weighing a maximum combined total of 14kgs (30lbs), with one of those items weighing up to 10kgs

Otherwise, take it from a very experienced traveler jldodge, less is more. There is no magic. Instead of trying to finagle how to take more than your allowance, you should concentrate on how limit yourself to 15 pounds, which is hardly 'over restrictive'.

Wearing cargo pants won't help much with a laptop and camera equipment anyway. Suggest you put your lap top and camera equipment into your carry on and weigh it. Then perhaps leave everything else out.

Have a good trip.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 09:17 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Just put it into your back-pack which becomes your personal item, separate to the carry-on.