Search

Car on ferry?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car on ferry?

We've got 2 options for the Wellington-Picton ferry --either take the car or drop it off and get up another one in Picton. Any suggestions? And how much in advance do you need to get to the ferry if you are dropping off a car vs taking it on the ferry?
thanks, Alan
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:17 AM

You have a 3rd option. Fly. Takes about 20 minutes from Wellington to Picton by Soundsair. Check out their website.
John
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:08 AM

It is so much easier to return your car & get another one in Picton & there is no additional charge.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:54 AM
KT

I've only done the drop-off and pick-up thing (with Hertz), and it was very simple and trouble-free. The drop-off in Picton took almost no time when we did it in May, but a friend of mine complained that it took a while when she did it at peak season during Christmas vacation. So I'd say that it depends upon whether you're going in high or low season.

She also complained about having to drag her luggage all the way from the car rental to the ferry building, but we didn't find that to be a problem -- the major rental places are maybe two minutes' walk from the ferry building, not what I consider a big deal. Or to make it even easier, you can do what we did -- my companion dropped me off me with the luggage at the ferry, and I waited there while she returned the car.

Unless you're taking just a tiny bag, you'll probably have to check your luggage on the ferry. Again, luggage check-in and pick-up were simple and took no time in May (you check it in at the same time as you get your boarding pass and pick it up right next to where you disembark), but could be worse during high season.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 02:47 PM
KT

Well, I feel silly --some of my comments were specifically about going Picton to Wellington, and you're going the opposite way. Sorry I was inattentive.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Les

Another thing to consider. If you arrange to drop off the car and pick up another one on the other side, you've locked yourself into arriving in Picton/Wellington at a specific time.
We're going in October, and we want the freedom to change our itinerary on the fly, so for us, keeping the car and taking it across on the ferry is the better option. A simple call a day in advance for a ferry reservation is all that's required (undoubtedly a simpler procedure than changing your car rental agreement during your trip).