NZ FERRY & RENTAL VEHICLE BOTH ISLANDS

Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ FERRY & RENTAL VEHICLE BOTH ISLANDS

We intend to fly into AKL, get a rental vehicle, visit both islands for three weeks. Then drop vehicle off at AKL and fly home.

I have seen that rental vehicles are not allowed to be taken on the ferry between islands.

This is a problem for me since we will have two large bags, a rolling carry on and small day backpack EACH.

Also, we had intended to do all shopping for non-perishible snacks, picnic items, etc when we get to AKL and then load them into a rental vehicle and be off for a three week trip.

Budget does not allow this. SO has read that they only allow renters to drop off their vehicle at the ferry, and take bags on the ferry, then, get a different vehicle on the other side. This will not work well with lots of bags, let alone a cooler, bags of snacks, picnic items, etc.

So, has anyone taken a rental vehicle from one island to the next (and back) on the ferry (we know there is a fee for the vehicle both ways on the ferry)? If so, who did you get the vehicle from. Seems the top five rental firms, don't allow this.

Are the second tier vehicle rental firms good? I don't want an old, smoked in, not reliable, shabby vehicle.

Also, regarding the ferry, online it shows an airport type bag check-in area. It says backpacks have to be checked? Is that giant, backpacks or the small day pack type? Do they allow standard rolling carry-ons to be hand carried onto the ferry? We have no intention of checking meds, notebook pc, camera etc (carry-on contents).

Will it a big hassle to take the ferry, if we want to take the (lots of, I know) things we intend to take?

I have gone on vehicle ferries before with a rental vehicle loaded with all my stuff other times (not in NZ)with no problem.

This whole topic is throwing a wrench into our itinerary and idea of how to do this holiday.

Any advice from anyone who has gone on the ferry will be greatly appreciated.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:33 PM

Yes you are quite correct, they try to keep their "fleets" in one island, and some say the cars get lots of dents on the ferry but that sounds a bit of a lame excuse to me. It doesn't seem to be a very good service, however I've found that Pegasus Rentals will let you go on the ferry. Yes their cars are a bit older, their top rate vehicles are around 2001- 2002 models. Good luck.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM

Also Thrifty Car Rental will let you, as long as you come back to the same island, which seems to be what you plan to do. Their cars might be more recent than Pegasus.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM

Oh, and to answer your query re luggage on the ferry - yes you can keep smaller packs/bags with cameras etc with you.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM

We used Maui Rentals, and we would have been able to take our car on the ferry if we had gone to the South Island. Our car was very nice and in excellent condition.

Lee Ann
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

I will look into Thrifty, Pegasus Rentals, and Maui Rentals.

Relieved on the carry-on bag info, if it comes to that. I don't want anything vital getting
"lost" or broken.

Thanks, again for the help.