COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Can I save money flying from US to NZ via Europe?

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Jack

Can I save money flying from US to NZ via Europe?

My wife an I are planning a trip from Detroit to New Zealand. I've heard that making the New Zealand leg from Europe can save significantly. Has anyone any suggestions of how to get to NZ thru Europe that would save us some money?

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Your Pal

Jack-whoever told you that was pulling your leg-politely put.
Suggestions?
Buy a Globe, take a piece of string and start measuring.
Then do some research for a decent travel agent-in New Zealand.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 01:58 PM
ryan

Jack,
Ignore the previous poster, if for no other reason that rudeness.

The pricing of airline tickets is based more on supply/demand than miles flown. That would explain why airfares from New York to LA are sometimes more expensive than from NY to London.

As you live in Detroit, it might be cheaper because of the NorthWest, KLM partnership. That is not to say that it is cheaper, but it would be one explanation. It is also possible that flights from Auckland to LA or Tokyo are more crowded than flights from Auckland to Amsterdam.

However, I would think a trip going Eastbound, would be much longer.

You might want to ask a travel agent or call Northwest directly and ask them to price a few itineraries.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Bartle

Jack-ignore Ryan his info is nebulous and muddled.
Look for a deal to LAX and then to Auckland.
It's never cheap though.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 10:05 PM
LizF

Jack - Yourpal was not being rude as Ryan says, he was giving you some good advice al beit a bit flippantly.
You would not want to fly the other way as it would add so much more time and I cannot see it being cheaper anyway.
However check out prices from Canada as you may find that going from there to NZ will make a great deal of difference.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:47 AM
DRA

Hi Jack, we researched extensively before buying our tickets from Chicago to NZ. We looked at a lot of consolidators (Pacific for Less, Austravel, Discover Wholesale travel), but ended up just buying directly through the airline (United and Air NZ) through Orbitz.com, due to a sale.

I can't imagine that flying through Europe would do much to save money, and would certainly add a lot of time to the trip. Most efficient from Detroit is likely to LAX, then onto Auckland.

good luck! Unfortunately they are just expensive flights.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 11:26 AM
Bethany

Hi Jack-
I'm researching flights from Indiana to Sydney right now through Travelocity and although I know it isn't exactly the same as your take off and destination, it is close. Anyway, if you are able to be flexible on your dates, they have some wonderful fares from the US. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Kathy

Hello fellow Midwesterners.....I'm in Wisconsin, Chicago's O'Hare is my Intl. airport. I found the best deal to Australia by buying a roundtrip Chicago to London and a separate roundtrip London to Australia. It's American to London and British Air London to Australia. Perth is my destination with a change in Sydney. You might try it if a little extra time spent getting there is an option for you.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:09 PM
LizF

I have just checked the price of an airfare from Sydney - LA return - for the next couple of months its $660US with Qantas and they do go through Auckland en route to the USA. Just a thought.