Camping in Tasmania

Apr 4th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Camping in Tasmania

CAMPING CAMPING - anyone know of good places to camp in Tasmania? We arrive Hobart on May 4th and will stay there 2 days to check out the city and surroundings (by the way, is the market open on Sunday)? Then we will drive up to our next destination (looking for something beautiful, hiking, camping feel to it). The problem is we have no Camping equipment. Can you rent stuff up there or would it be better just to grab a flat or a cabin. We were hoping to get under the stars and light a fire and let the Mozzies eat us up a little. I'm open to anyone's 2 cents or a dollar if you got one.

Thanks!
Apr 4th, 2003, 01:35 PM
ALF

There is a fine campground at Cradle Mountain National Park, as well as Lake St. Clair - either end of the Overland Track. I know that the student union at the U. of Tasmania hires camping equipment, but it would be tough to do so if you are not a student. It would be easier to hire such equipment in Melbourne before you fly/ferry over.
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:10 PM

Um, you do realise that it will be bitterly cold at night as it's the beginning of winter in May...and the mozzies will be vacationing up north in Queensland at the beach.

I'd stay in a nice, warm, homey pub or b&b...
Apr 5th, 2003, 02:18 PM

If you want to Camp you are allowed to do so anywhere you like in Tassie. So if you are driving along like I have done and see a lovely little bay that you like then just set up right there. Yes it will be cold though at that time of year but you could perhaps do a bit of both camping and cottaging. Fabulous little convict built cottages with same style furnishings in a village called Hamilton. Everything is set up for you and you can do your washing etc whilst there. There are 4 little houses and if you don't want to cook the pub has great meals. You can explore Mt Field from there.
Apr 5th, 2003, 02:19 PM

Salamanca markets are only open Saturday but you probably will find little markets on the Sunday as you drive along.