Great Basin National Park Camping Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone camped at Great Basin? I am considering camping there next summer. Probably the last week of July. Any bug issues? Do I want to camp at Upper Lehman, Lower Lehman, or Wheeler Peak. It appears that a creek runs past many of the campsites. There isn't a whole lot of info out there about this park. I will probably hike to the glacier, bristlecones, Theresa and Stella Lake, and Wheeler Peak, Of course, will see the cave.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 09:06 PM

We have camped there. My husband wanted to camp at Wheeler Peak, where he usually camps on guy trips. It is a beautiful area, but I was being a grumpy wife and felt like it was cold and damp, so insisted we camp at the next lowest elevation. My instincts were right, because it rained that night and snowed the next morning. It was wonderful! We were in a tent and still enjoyed it so much, we stayed extra nights. The park is not heavily visited, so you may easily choose your campground when you arrive. Go for Upper Lehman or Wheeler Peak. Wheeler Peak campground is more lush with trees. No bugs when we were there but depends on the weather I guess. Awesome views.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 09:23 AM

FYI: pit toilets and running water in the campgrounds, but flush toilets at the visitor center.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 12:28 AM

We camped at Lower Lehman Campground a couple of times. The last time was June 28, 1998 and we were INVADED with moths in our RV. We're not sure how they all got in because we kept the screen door closed on the small motorhome we had at at that time. We didn't notice them until the next morning. At first there were just a few and we let them out the window or door all morning long as we drove to Utah. By the end of the day we went on a killing spree...the were coming out of all the cracks and crevices of the RV and they were driving us CRAZY!

Wheeler campground is at 9,800 feet and we had a hard time acclimating on the drive to the peak. Something you might want to consider.

Utahtea
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 03:31 AM

Great Basin National Park has five developed campgrounds with vault toilets, picnic tables, tent pads, and campfire grills. There are no hookups or leveled parking sites. Campsites are limited to eight people, three tents, and two vehicles per site. There are three campgrounds that have accessible sites. You must visit there.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Allen,
Yes, I've read that on the NPS site. What I was looking for was specifics on someone who has stayed there before. I've researched it about as much as one can on the internet. Watched every youtube video of Great Basin Camping and googled it. Just trying to figure out where I wanted to be at.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

I wonder what the odds are that I might not be able to find a camping spot, if I arrived around 1:00pm on a Friday. Could go on June 20 or June 27. Would be there 3 nights. I just don't want to fly from Oklahoma and not be able to find a camping spot at Upper, Lower, or Wheeler Campgrounds.

Utahtea,
I'm not so much worried about acclimating on the drive. I am strongly concerned about hiking Wheeler Peak though. I will wait to do this on the last day to acclimate as much as possible. Altitude bothers my wife more than me(normally-I know it can hit anyone anytime). I think hers is as much in her head as when she hasn't known that she is in altitude, she has been fine.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

I decided on June 20, 21, and 22. Will camp there 2 nights. Will probably try for Wheeler Peak Campground. Looking forward to it. Any other comments by anyone else would be appreciated. The only real things that worry me is weather and altitude.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 04:54 PM

spirobulldog,

Please report back!

Utahtea