Help Needed for Top End Travel

Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Help Needed for Top End Travel

I will be in Perth on business during the end of May. After that I have some time (five days) before I have more business in Canberra. So, due to the time of year, I am thinking of spending my free time on the Top End (Kakkadu, or Katherine), or possibly more of Western Australia (Broome, Kimberley?). I have been to the Eastern part of Australia extensively in the past, but never to these areas.

My primary interest is scenery/nature, closely followed by local wildlife. I wish to avoid crowded cities/parks, and am willing to go off the beaten path to find the spectacular places that I hear of in the west (amazing sunsets, etc.)

I am in my early forties, am very fit; however, I do not wish to camp.

I searched this site as well as other sites on Australia's outback, and soon became overwhelmed as to how best to spend my time, given my above, hopefully simple criteria.

I would appreciate any help, especially from photographers who really think about these things and scope out the lesser known locations.

Thanks.
Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:31 AM

I note that you don't want to camp but hiring a motor home would give you a lot of flexibility. Most of the national parks in both Northern Territory and Western Australia have campgrounds.
Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:23 AM

Well, it's a good time of year to go to the TE. And you obviously have pots of money - so, sure you could fly up to Darwin and go on a lux trip round Kakadu. Don't think you could ever call Kakadu "crowded" but if you don't want to camp you will be restricted to the tourist hotspots.

Only five days?
Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:36 AM

continued ... might I suggest:

http://www.kooljaman.com.au/

WA is amazing - but needs time. Another option for a short trip would be the Bungle Bungles (Purnululu).

Forgive me for being combative, but I think the phrase "scope out the lesser known locations" belongs in the workplace - not here. It's total nonsense.
Apr 25th, 2004, 09:04 AM

End of May will be good for the North - Kakadu is certainly a possibility. You'll find motel/B&B accomododation right in the park (at Jabiru for example). If my memory serves me right, the park is a good 3-4 hrs drive from Darwin on sealed roads. Some of the major sights (Noorlangie Rock, Yellow Waters, Ubirr) are readily accessible by car in the dry season. Places like the specatular Jim Jim and Twin Falls are difficult to do on your own, but there are a number of tour operators that take visitors into these places by 4WD.

The Kimberley is also a great alternative. I thought the Bungle Bungle Ranges were absolutely incredible, though they are very isolated and inacessible to 2WD. Not camping will restrict your options for the Kimberley. However, the El Questro Station (http://www.elquestro.com.au/) may be the place for you. You could use it as a base to see the Bungle Bungles by air and other sights in the eastern Kimberley. I stopped there briefly on a 4WD camping tour of the Kimberley a few years ago...looked real nice!