Search

Bugs in SE Australia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bugs in SE Australia

I was warned about bugs in Australia. I know Australia is a huge country and bugs are going to be bad in one area and not in another. I am going to Sydney in February 2007 and then driving down to Melbourne and then to Adelaide and then KI and back to Sydney. How bad are the bugs in these areas in Feruary. I heard horror stories about ants in your toothbrush, in the beds, etc.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I hate to alarm you, but the thing I hated most about my (October) visit to Sydney was the flies. My visit was 10 years ago, and it was so bad I shudder at the thought of returning.

On the plus side, I hear they are seasonal, and worse in the spring.

I don't remember any other bug encounters. If there were ants, it wouldn't have bothered me anyway.

Strangely, the bug factor really does not seem to bother most people.

To other Fodorites: Am I just being wimpy about the Sydney fly situation?
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I don't know where your bubble is but I have NEVER had a problem with flies in Sydney. I have had problems like gnats in Scotland, mice in England, flies in Texas, too many people in Hong Kong, roaches in Thailand, E -coli in Indonesia & India and the biggest rats in the Philippines but never flies in Sydney. You do get flies in the outback in the middle of summer but not on the coastal areas. I cannot comment on Adelaide or Kangaroo Island but then I would not be going to those two places in February anyway. Ants! ants only look for food so if you clean your toothbrush then you won't have them.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I find that the best way to keep ants out of your bed is not to leave food scraps in it for extended periods. Likewise, you will not find them in your toothbrush if you restrict its use to brushing your teeth. As is the case in most parts of the world.

Femi, unless there was an unusual plague of flies in Sydney at the time I think the answer is "yes".

Flies can be present in annoying numbers in rural areas at certain times of the year. If they bother you, just buy a can of repellent. Same goes for mosquitos.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:24 PM

We were in Melbourne, Hobart, and Sydney in February, and had no trouble with bugs at all in any of those places.

Well, there was one cockroach in our room that drowned himself in a quarter-inch of sherry left in a glass, but the solution there is, don't leave partly-full glasses of sherry out overnight.

I'm not very sensitive to bug bites, usually, but my wife is, and she didn't report any of the nasty bites she usually manages to pick up: mosquitoes in Mexico, sand flies in Hawai'i. And yes, I also have inhaled vast quantities of tiny black flies in Scotland.

I don't think I saw a single fly in Sydney in February, though. But then, I bathe every day! (C'mon, it's a joke!)
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:09 PM

I can't imagine that the flies only appeared the week I was in Sydney and were never to be seen again.

When I completed the mad dash from the bus to the relative safety of a shop, the shop keeper would comment 'The flies are friendly today aren't they?'

And that's where I learned about the so-called 'Australian Salute' as people would wave a hand in front of their faces in an attempt to swat the bugs away.

To the OP: Sorry to hijack your thread but I've always thought this was the biggest and best kept secret about Sydney. I just want to understand the phenomenon. I've experienced nothing like it anywhere else.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 04:40 PM

It never occurred to me before, but I decided to google the bush fly and now I know more than I ever wanted about the little beasts.

The best site I found asks that others not copy from them, so here's the link:

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 07:26 PM

I encountered flies on 1 day of my 7 day visit to Sydney in November. They were definitely annoying, but much worse on Kangaroo Island.

Hellyes74, the flies were maddening at cetain times on KI, but not bad enough to avoid the island. I didn't encounter any bugs in Adelaide. Go and have a great time!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like the bug situation is normal. I can handle normal. I think my sister is just jealous and tried to rain on my parade. She described bugs all over everywhere, inside and outside. If I can handle summer in Canada (flies, mosquitoes, wasps, etc), I am sure I can handle the east coast of Australia.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:29 PM

i've only ever had ants in my bed once and that was in the kimberley. it was so annoying, but we were camping in swags on the ground.

As for others, flies can be annoying, and mozzies as well - but they have always loved me, so I'm very quick with the aeroguard. pretty much if you have aeroguard you won't go wrong (the slogan wasn't 'and 'ave a good weekend' for nothing).

one thing I would keep an eye out for is leeches if you're in wet/rainforesty type areas. they're about the only crawlie that bothers me, i hate them with a passion. pour a bit of salt on them though and all is well. I know they don't bother other people as much but i'm a big baby when it comes to the leech.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Sometimes the flies are bad here - but not that often - and they're unpredictable.

I play tennis regularly, and every now and then the flies drive you mad - but the next day they've gone. They're usually around in humid weather, but.....
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 09:47 PM

Flies really come and go. Two days last week I spent my morning walk swatting like mad. But then they were gone. They like it hot usually. The wind scares thme away but then... But other than mozzies, cockroaches and quaintly named Christmas beetles there is no real problem with bugs. Oh and of course ants if you leave food out.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 08:03 AM

It helps to know that the bush flies come and go. I guess their prescence during a visit is all down to luck.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:55 AM

As in many places, cockroaches are more likely to appear in areas where food scraps can be found. We find one in the house occasionally, but they're easily disposed of.

Christmas beetles are just big, blundering harmless bugs which appear briefly on summer nights - easily caught and ejected if they find their way inside.

You may (or may not) sight a huntsman spider, a big beast with long hairy legs which finds the walls and ceilings of houses good places to hang out. They often freak out foreign visitors but they're timid and pretty harmless. I've known only one person to be bitten - he grabbed one with his bare hands to throw it out the door, and the startled spider acted in self-defence. He said it wasn't much worse than a mosquito bite, but I should mention that he'd spent the previous couple of hours anaesthetising himself with Chateau Cardboard.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 01:21 PM

We really noticed the flies in Sydney on the last week in October. Also at Ulura, Marree and a number of other places. The blessing was that they disappeared when the sun went down, so at least they were not around for dinner hour.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 01:22 PM

We really noticed the flies in Sydney on the last week in October. Also at Uluru, Marree and a number of other places. The blessing was that they disappeared when the sun went down, so at least they were not around for dinner hour.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 03:24 PM

...just when I thought it was safe to return...
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM

Never recall a fly issue around Melbourne, summer, fall or spring. Even out on a horse farm. But there are some pesky flies along the coast of the Great Ocean Road in summer when you walk out from the car park along the grasses, to the shore, even when it's windy.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your messages. I just booked my flight and will be Australia Feb 1, 2007. I will not leave food around (or alcohol), nor will I forget my bug spray with DEET. I am not concerned with the flies. Winnipeg had a horrible problem with wasps this year, and if I can handle that I can handle flies.