Reload this Page >

Broome to Darwin 4WD Safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Dean

Travelling in July/August. Can anyone recommend one of these 7 or 8 day camping safaris for a family (with teenagers)? How strenuous are the activities? What are the campgrounds like?

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:34 PM
LizF

Hi: firstly the thing you must realize is that you will be on a safari and you can forget "campgrounds" per se but think more of camp-site and you will be on the right wave length. <BR>I don't know any particular one that I could recommend but all of the ones that went from Darwin through Kakadu were really great. If you get "surviver" on TV you may get some idea of what things will be like. The Northern Territory is the last frontier and as such is really great fun in the places you see and go and to combine that with the northern part of Western Australia will be great. You will probably find you will bathe under waterfalls or in hot springs, cook over a camp fire and just listen to the sounds of the bush at night and you may be lucky to have some amenities. The activities most probably won't be too strenuous but will be great fun. An absolutely fabulous time for teenagers. Mine went when they were teenagers and loved it so much that they still want to go back and do it all again. I envy you!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:40 PM
LizF

http://www.allterrain.com.au/20day_kimbkaka.htm<BR><BR>I just had a look at this one which I think would be fantastic. It goes to the outback station that is really wonderful and has won awards and does other special things. <BR>Cheers and good luck

Old Jan 10th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did an allterrain safari in 2001, darwin to broome and return. it was 19 days. It is pretty budget, so you wont have fancy accommodation. Some places we stayed in caravan parks or resorts but predominantly bush camping (with toilets, but rarely showers). But given you do a lot of swimming, the shower thing is not a big drama. we slept in swags with mosquito nets (although you could have a tent provided if you wanted). personally I like the swag. We took it in turns to cook and wash up and pack up, so it was a pitch in kind of holiday. If you like to camp, swim and hike, you will have a great time. The only thing I will say about allterrain was that we had some issues with our truck so no aircon on one leg which was pretty uncomfortable. There was a very large range in ages, on my way back from Broome to Darwin, youngest probably early 20s, oldest would have been 70.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 11:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
lancefan -

I suspect the OP has already taken his trip - this post is eight years old.