For SusanLynne- mobile tented safari in Tanzania

Aug 21st, 2003, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

For SusanLynne- mobile tented safari in Tanzania

My husband and I are very interested in this type of safari and after our unforgettable safari in Kenya we would like to return to East Africa. In Kenya we stayed in Masai Mara (Governor's camp) and in Amboseli (Tortilis camp).
Do you think that the end of October and the begining of November is a right time to visit Tanzania? We are thinking about 2004. I would love to find out in more details about your mobile safari. Is it private or there are other people with you? What areas and for how long? Did you use comapny in Tanzania to organize to safari? Would you rather e-mail me than answer these questions on this board? Thanks
Aug 21st, 2003, 06:33 PM

Hi Wildflower! Welcome to the Africa board. It's been a pleasure chatting with you on the Caribbean board and I really think you will enjoy Cat Island. But on to Africa now! There are many people who visit this website and each will have his/her own opinions as well as a lot of helpful information to offer. As far as the right time to visit Tanzania, it depends on where you are going. During the time you mentioned, the wildlife in the Serengeti is very good - NOT, however, the south-eastern section of the park. Tarangire National Park is great at that time, as is Selous and Ruaha and other southern parks. Lake Manyara is not good for that time of the year, and the Ngorongoro Crater is supposed to be good for wildlife viewing at that time as well. As far as our 2004 trip, our mobile camping venture will be just my husband and I (along with the chef, camp attendant and the driver/guide.) We are going to do the mobile camping for four days or so in the Serengeti (exact spot yet to be decided.) I know there are some people who read this board who have done mobile camping and will be happy to offer their opinions on the atmosphere/conditions. Feel free to email me at Afr[email protected] and I will bore you with all the little details that we are trying to work out. But in the meantime, fellow Fodorites, please help Wildflower out and share your knowledge with her!
Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:33 AM

Wildflower, we did a mobile camping safari last year in Tanzania (the last two weeks of September). We have never done one of the lodge safaris, and after the experience of camping in the African bush, we never will. We spent time in Tarangire, Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti. I think the neatest thing about mobile camping is, you not only get to experience the animals during the day while out on game drives, but you also get to expericence them at night in the camps. To sit around the campfire and shine your flashlight out into the surrounding bush and see all of the eyes staring back at you is an incredible experience (if the eyes reflect blue, its a hyena, if they reflect red, its a lion). And to lie in bed hearing the sound of the lions and elephants all around you is also incredible. My feeling is that with the camping safari, you are truly on safari 24 hours a day. It's quite an adrenaline rush to have to get up and leave your tent in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom, knowing that earlier in the night, the hyenas were sniffing around your tent. On our safari, there could have been up to a total of 10 people in our group. We used an Arusha-based company called Kibo Safaris for the trip. We lucked out and only had two other people in our group, so it was my wife and I, the other couple, the driver/guide, the chef, and two camp attendants. They took very good care of us. And we saw every animal that you can imagine, in abundance. We are currently planning our next trip for Feb 2006,and yes, it will be a mobile camping safari.

Hope this helps.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Teresaandgreg, thank you so much for great information

SusanLynne, I will repost my inquiry on this board altough I already got some wonderful ideas from teresaandgreg.

Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:42 AM

SusanLynne,

I just came across this posting for the first time after doing a search for "Selous."

Will you please let me know what company you are using for this very interesting sounding expedition? While I love upscale game camps, this sounds like it would truly be an adventure and possibly no more expensive than what I had in mind.

Thanks!
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:41 AM

Roccco: We are using Roy Safaris Ltd. out of Arusha, Tanzania. I find their rates very reasonable and, more important, their customer service is what I want from a safari company. It is family owned and operated, right down to the family matriarch who grows the vegetables used for cooking their safari meals. I dealt with Susan Pandit for our trip. A friend of mine who also used Roy, dealt with Sanjay Pandit, Susan's husband. There is a website, which I do not think does the business justice, but enough for you to look at and get some ideas. If I can be of further assistance, give me a shout. I am going to move on to your Selous question now ...
Nov 22nd, 2003, 10:33 AM

By the way, Roccco: I know how it is to have to give in to a significant other, in order to ensure a trip to Africa. My wonderful husband's idea of a vacation is to find a remote island in the Caribbean and plop down for a while. While I thoroughly enjoy this time with him and relish warm, crystal clear water ... my mind is always on Africa. As an aside, what I did not mention is that we used Roy Safaris for our 2002 trip to Tanzania, so it is a company I am familiar with and have no qualms referring. Ah, Africa ... what a magical place ... all this talk is making me realize I must start getting back to finalizing our 2004 trip!
Nov 16th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Hello everyone! I am in the beginning stages of planning a 1-2 month budget trip to Tanzania somewhere between June and August. Any suggestions as far as backpacking in Tanzania? Is it cheaper to set up safari in Tanzania? I want to see several parks on mobile safaris. I don't need any extras! Any suggestions would help as I am on a small budget and would like to see as much as possible! Mahalo, Jeff

Search this Thread