Book Hotels Direct?

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Book Hotels Direct?

I would like to be able to call the hotels directly to book without going through one of the hotel discounters, who charge your credit card right away rather than at the time of your stay. Their cancellation policies are more limited also. Is there a way to do this? I have been searching for a direct number for the Duxton hotel in Auckland without success.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:28 AM

Hi JeanneO,
Not sure about phone number but here is the e.mail address.
Contact them and ask for the number.
I book all my hotels by e.mail, its quite useful to keep records of what was booked.
[email protected]

Muck
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Oops forgot their website is:

www.duxton.com

Muck
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 02:40 PM

You can normally find the phone number for any of the hotels by going to their web page, or in the case of a chain to their web page - all the details you would need are found there.
In some cases you can get a better deal by speaking to them direct.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 10:13 PM

The phone number is 0064-9-375-1800.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:44 AM

When I went last year..I booked with hotels directly through their website or email.

If you call to Oz or NZ to make reservations, use a calling card. I called from my home phone and ended up getting a $14 charge for 3 minutes.

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 09:54 AM

JeanneO, I booked all our hotels directly online for our NZ trip last April and everything worked out beautifully. Just make sure the email or fax confirmation states the correct date, price, inclusions, and cancellation policy. If not, reply and ask that they do so. Then print them out and take them with you. If the address, phone numbers, and directions aren't included, write them in yourself. You will need all of this.

We had to re-arrange some of our reservations and because I had included all of the above, every change made in NZ was without penalty. Kiwis are most cooperative and helpful and I'm sure you can do this yourself.

Also, I never email my credit card number - always fax. And, ask about specials, especially at the larger or chain hotels/motels.

Have fun,
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:56 AM

I book hotels all the time for Australia and NZ I get very cheap rates and never had a problem, by the time you have searched for a number and paid for the call only to find it's more, not worth it. Small hotels might offer a discount but few reception staff at bigger hotels have the 'ok' to start changing rates.
I would use an UA/NZ company to make the bookings, I paid just 1 night deposit and even when I cancelled a few weeks before I was credited the amount within a month, so problems, but I would use local NZ or Australian agents/services.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 05:05 AM

Jeanne, do let us know the rate you got, it would be interesting, people I use quote NZD 218 for a twin, as a matter of interest I took a look at their policies ( never bothered before ), they charge about USD10 if you canel but you can cancel up to 4 days in advance, so not that bad. Interesting what Duxton gives direct, would be usefull to find out an compare.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Hi Jeanne and James

An interesting discussion.

After years in the travel industry (now retired!) I find that today if you go direct you tend to get the rack rate.

For example in the case of the DUXTON in Auckland the rack rate is, as James has stated, $NZ218 at present. BUT online on a hotel discounter they are quoting $NZ135 for a superiour room that usually sells for NZ310/night. The $NZ218 room would most likely sell for $NZ90/night.

Basically hotels fill rooms through wholesalers at discounted rates, direct sales are the icing on the cake and they often get a better rate for them.

I used to go direct because as part of the industry I could get a better rate but now I always book through a discounter online.

Hope this helps

Kerry
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:12 AM

Can anyone recommend serious and reliable online discounters for Australia and for New Zealand?
I've been browsing some websites that didn't look very professional...