Best way to get to Orange from Sydney

Jan 4th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Best way to get to Orange from Sydney

DH and I are planning on visiting DH's brother and family who live in Orange. We live in Nelson NZ and are flying into Sydney. I have looked up airfares and it seems there is only one airline that flies into Orange and that is Rex airlines. Airfares seem to be $129.00 each way per person which is rather expensive. Are there any other airlines that fly into Orange?

The alternative I guess would be to hire a rental car and drive. How long would this take? Any suggestions as to the best rental car company to use?

We would be travelling in June as have tickets for the Michael Buble concert in Sydney on June 5th.

Any suggestions for reasonably priced accommodation in Sydney?
Jan 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM

nelsonian, I'll have to pass on the other questions, but I would drive. It's an easy and mostly pleasant 3-3.5 hour drive. I'm not sure how you'll go organising a one-way rental, but you could start with the usual suspects (Budget, Hertz, Avis, Europcar).

Jan 5th, 2008, 06:18 AM

for accomodation up to 28 days in advance check www.wotif.com for the best discounted deals. for the car rental I would check www.autoeurope.com They select the best offer among various companies.

I use these sites regularely for my selfmade trips around the world !!

have a great trip !
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, I think driving sounds a good option. We will just have to organise a flight that gets in early afternoon as opposed to the evening as I was originally thinking.
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Hi Nelsonian,
I regularly drive Sydney-Orange & recommend you do that. It's a very pretty trip through the Blue Mountains and some interesting countryside, as well as an opportunity to visit some excellent restaurants serving the best of local produce.

For car rentals, I use Bayswater Rentals in William Street (Kings Cross) I don't think they have an airport desk, but their rates make the $25 cab fare into their city office well worthwhile.

Cheers,
Bokhara
Jan 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Hi

For directions anywhere in Australia there is a good site www.whereis.com. or www.whereis.com.au

You can type in detailed information such as street name and number of your starting point and your destination or just names of locations and the state/territory they are in.

Click on 'get directions' and it gives you detailed directions including number of kilometres and time involved. You can also view and print out a map of the route.
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Take the train.

Dubbo XPT leaves Central about 7.10am each day, and stops at Orange. Some other options at Countrylink website.

http://www.countrylink.info/

yes - Rex is the only airline that flies to Orange.