best time to travel with this itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a 4-week trip to Australia in 2008. Australia is so large, with so many different climate zones, that it's hard to find a "perfect" time to go.

I have done a lot of research on this forum (I love planning) and we had settled on late September on into the middle of October. But after reading another recent thread, I'm wondering if we should switch to late April into early May?

Here is a rough itinerary. We'd love comments and suggestions about when we should do this!!

Sydney--5 nights
Adelaide area/Kangaroo Island--4 nights
Ayers Rock--3 nights
Alice Springs--2 nights
Darwin/Kakadu--4 nights
Port Douglas/Cairns/Daintree/etc.--10 nights

We were trying to find a time when it wouldn't be too cold in Sydney and Adelaide, but it would also not be too hot in the Center. I guess that April would also fit this requirement.

How would early May be in Kakadu? (I know there are no guarantees with weather--I'm just looking for best/worse cases, I guess). I suppose there wouldn't be so many birds flocked at watering holes--because there would be water everywhere. The upside would be that the waterfalls would still be flowing (I assume). How likely is it that we would have trouble getting around (to Ubirr Rock for example)?

How is North Queensland at that time? We plan to visit the Tablelands, Lizard Island, do some other reef excursions--take trips through the Daintree, etc. As I understand it the stingers would probably be gone. How does the weather for reef trips during early May compare to that in mid-October? How is this time of year in the Daintree? We love to see and photograph animals--will they be more spread out in May--since water is so plentiful?

Maybe since we are spending the most time in North Queensland, we should consider the conditions there the most heavily.

Any and all input would be very much appreciated. If we are switching to April/May, I will need to start trying to get airline reservations in the next few months! Exciting!

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:56 PM

I think September/October would be a great time for your trip as long as you do it in reverse order. Start out in PD because the snorkeling is good at that time of year. Next head to Darwin/Kakadu as it will still be the Dry. Then head south to the Red Center, Adelaide and back to Sydney. It will be warmer in Adelaide and Sydney in October.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Longhorn. That sounds like a really good idea. The only thing is, I seem to remember reading that reef trips get cancelled a lot in September because of winds. Also--will the water temperature be then?
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 02:23 AM

Water temps obviously better in April than October. Not a huge amount to choose between re Sydney - could be glorious, could be cloudy - but you'd be unlucky if it was under 20C during the day either month. Of course it might rain - but rain now so unpredictable (any ideas why?) best not even to think about it.

I'd probably stick to Sept/Oct water temps notwithstanding. but if it was April/May it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:20 AM

I vote for November. It will just be getting hot in Cairns and Darwin and warm in Sydney and Adelaide. But the ocean won't be so warm that you will be having bad storms in Cairns and Darwin.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:48 AM

Caligirl56--We have been to PD about 5 times, 4 of those in July/early August but one of those times was in September. It was my understanding that the winds are a problem in June-August (which we sometimes did have to contend with), but the weather during our September trip was fabulous. It was very still out on the reef, so it was ideal conditions for snorkeling. I almost always get a wetsuit for snorkeling no matter the water temperature because I like the buoyancy (and it does help because you are in the water for a long time when you're snorkeling.) As for the water condtions on the beach--they should be good as well in September. I've never been uncomfortable in the water at PD at any time.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:01 PM

What about Melbourne??? marvellous Melbourne voted one of the Safest Cities in the World...especially Yarra Valley, Mornington Peninsula, Cape Otway.....the list goes on and on..