Beaches in July?

Mar 18th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Beaches in July?

We love Australia! We went to the east coast summer before last and had a great time (did an aussie pass and combined with Tasmania, which was amazing!!), but this summer I need at least some beach time (to recharge batteries and time with no planned activities at all for kids), I can't find an airfare to combine with Hawaii, which we also love, so I was wondering if I could find a good hot July spot in the northern part of Australia and combine both (could I drive to the outback too?) thanks
Mar 18th, 2009, 03:05 AM

Well, just to get you started ....

July is a great time to visit the "Top End" ie Darwin and Kakadu National Park, etc. And there's the Kimberley in northern WA and there's Broome for the beach. You don't say how long you have, but you could spend a week by the beach in Broome, then hire a car and spend a week driving the Gibb River Road to Darwin if you are so inclined. Or return to Broome. Note, though, that Broome is NOT beach like the Gold Coast - it's beach - fabulous beach - but no Dreamworld, no huge shopping malls, no high rise blocks of apartments. Very laid back in fact, and in the middle of nowhere. The GRR is an adventure with terrific gorges to see and lots of empty space. I loved it. There's the El Questo experience to consider too. What age are your kids?

A second option would be to combine a visit to the Darwin area with Bali. Only thing is you'd expect flights to be cheap and it doesn't look as though they are.

Have fun!
Mar 18th, 2009, 04:51 AM

NW of WA is one option though depending on where you're coming from there's the budget if a consideration.
Outside of cyclones, July is allegedly one of Broomes more windy months abd can be a bit cool.
GRR is also 4WD hire territory which will add to the cost.

You get cooler weather in July even in lower regions of Queensland and would want to head to FNQ as far as eastcoast goes for maximum warmth though beaches of Whitsunday Islands and other islands between there and Cairns will not exactly have you freezing either.

There are some inland experiences that you could get to by driving, outbackishness depending on just how far outback you want and time available.

Plenty of info on the net, www.queenslandholidays.com.au being a general site you may want to look at.
Mar 18th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

thanks, the nice thing is that we do have time. (husband is a teacher and have the whole summer off), Bali would be nice too tho I read that it isnt that warm at that time-and there is the cost,whew. My kids (boys) are 10,13,18 (not so much of a kid-college), and we dont mind no malls, etc., have too much of that here. Broome sounds ideal-so there is a beach beach right? We made the mistake of going to Cabo San Lucas and never actually got to a beach. What temperature would it be? nothing more miserable than a cool beach. There is a great special at Qantas right now, you can go from LAX to Australia (Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne) or Auckland for about $675 round trip. New Zealand also looks magical (but cold at that time of the year). I fear we will never get there at this rate since no one is off during our winter (their summer)...thanks for your thoughts.
Mar 18th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Logicaldog,
Bali's ALWAYS warm. Often great specials from Australia. Your kids would adore it, I'm sure.