Auto Rental - Excess Insurance

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2016, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I've started researching car rentals for our trip to Australia. We will have 4 separate rentals during our 6 weeks in Australia. The price of the excess insurance is quite expensive. I've looked at alternatives (www.tripcover.com.au & what vroomwroomvroom offers) to using the car rental company and while less expensive, still it adds a hefty amount onto our car rental fees. Read the gobbleygook with my Sapphire Visa card & it doesn't sound as if its covered. What have others done regarding this excess insurance?
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 12:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
This is a much discussed topic, here & on TA. You're right, the excess reduction cover offered by the rental car firms can nearly double the daily rental cost.

I had a rental car insurance excess cover added to my annual Travel Insurance policy & use that.

Your credit card insurance may not cover it - but a lot do. I know US based member Melnq8, who lived here for some years, always used her c.card cover.
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 12:41 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I did indeed. Never once did we purchase rental car insurance in Australia or NZ.

Call your Visa issuer - ask them if they extend coverage in Australia, they might even cover the excess (deductible). Our Visa does.

It will save you a mint.
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

My Visa Saphire has CDW which I think is not the same as the excess insurance. Perhaps I don't understand this "excess." As I understand it if you have so much as even a scratch they can/will charge you the excess amt which could be $2000 and upwards. Is this correct?

May I ask which Visa card you have, Melnq8? I think it would be worth it to get a credit card that cover this excess given the costs of it.
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 02:26 PM

In Australia car rentals include basic comprehensive and third party insurance.

Liability insurance is included in car registration fees, therefore any car you rent includes third party liability, meaning you, as the driver of a registered rental car in Australia are covered for collision causing damage or injury to a third party.

It's a wonderful thing IMO - the complete opposite of how we do it here in the sue happy US.

However, if you are found to be under the influence of drugs, over the drinking limit, or otherwise blatantly negligent, this coverage is null and void.

There are also a few things that aren't covered under the basic comprehensive, such as windscreen and tire damage, etc.

This is where the additional coverage comes in - the rental car company will offer to reduce the excess (deductible) for an additional daily charge, and in most cases, this additional coverage will cover windscreen and tire damage and things not covered in the basic insurance included with the rental car.

<<As I understand it if you have so much as even a scratch they can/will charge you the excess amt which could be $2000 and upwards. Is this correct?>>

Yes, and some companies will charge the full amount outright, even if the cost of repair is less than the excess amount.

I've personally not had a problem with Australian rental car agencies, but a lot of people have. There are a lot of horror stories out there, so it pays to know exactly what your insurance will and will not cover.

I have a Platinum Visa issued by USAA.
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for that great explanation, Melnq. And for the VISA info.
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 04:20 PM

No worries.

Enjoy Australia!
Old Aug 31st, 2016, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

One more question, does the visa state it coves excess?
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 01:49 PM

I have a Visa Signature Benefits and Perks brochure that I requested and received from Visa/USAA some time ago.

The reimbursement of deductible is specifically mentioned in the brochure, subject to conditions and the usual insurance policy gibberish.

If your Visa/bank offers a similar brochure, I suggest you ask for a copy. I have no idea whether the benefits are bank/issuer specific, or universal to all Visa cards.

In the meantime, this site might help:

https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...-benefits.html

Which reminds me, we've just gotten a new Visa, so need to make sure our coverage has not changed!
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I think for me the confusion was coming from the term "excess" Apparently that is viewed as the deductible and my Chase Visa does cover that with their CDW coverage. I finally talked to a Benefits Administrator today. She also suggested giving me a Letter of Eligibiilty to have when I pick up the cars. Hopefully she is correct and in any case, hopefully as usual, hopefully we dont have any incidents with the rentals. SO WHEW! Now onto the 2 remaining flights I need to book.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 04:47 PM

No worries yestravel.

The letter of eligibility isn't necessary and will most likely be waved off, but it doesn't hurt.

IME all you need do is decline the extra coverage - it's very unlikely you'll be given the hard sell - unlike in the US where rental car agents can be rabid

It's been suggested here and on TA to take dated photos of any car you rent in Australia at check-in (I've never done this in my life anywhere, but I guess it can't hurt).

I've also heard many negative things about renting camper vans in Australia - particularly in WA - any chance you're renting one of those?
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Just renting cars. I always take photos before and after. Wasn't sure about the letter, it's not something I have ever had, but like you, I figured it can't hurt. I started booking cars this evening. Turns out Kemwell, sister agency of Auto Europe, has the best rates.
Old Sep 1st, 2016, 06:12 PM

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 2nd, 2016, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. It's not until this winter.