Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australia Trip Planned for mid-late October 2020 - Should we keep it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2020, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I apologize up front if this is a stupid request by I would like to get your opinions on my request. My husband and I have planned a trip( Oct 17 to Nov 3, 2020) to Auckland and Australia. We will be visiting Melbourne and Sydney. With the horrible devastation of the fires, I am wondering if we should still go. We have been looking forward to this trip for years, especially since we had one planned in 2014 but had to cancel to due my husbands illness and my mothers passing.

What do you recommend? Reschedule or stay the course and come? Thank you for any input you can share.

Old Jan 13th, 2020, 12:11 PM

Why would you want to cancel a holiday next October? The fires have devastated large parts of Australia but there is even more of Australia that has not been affected. The major cities are the same, most of our national parks are untouched. This would be like cancelling a holiday to USA just because there is a fire in Yellowstone.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 02:28 PM

Good grief! It's 9 months away. If you are only visiting Sydney and Melbourne, you'd be foolish to change. There are NO fires in the city now.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not a stupid request. If you don't know, you don't know. Melbourne and Sydney have not been touched by the bushfires, except for smoke haze which should be well and truly gone by then. I know the media worldwide has been showing footage of the fires and it may seem like the whole country is ablaze but there are massive areas that are completely unaffected.

Also, and this is important, people here need tourists. They need to fill hotels, restaurants, tours, planes, etc. Those living in the fire affected areas really want visitors to come and visit and spend money in the towns. Buy lunch, get a beer in the pub, buy something in the shops. Otherwise people move away and small towns die. Come and enjoy.

Kay
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Keep your trip as planned.
October is a nice time to be in Australia.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 05:24 PM

You should keep your trip as that’s 9 months away. Yes there has been damage from fires however what it will be like in 9 months is anyone’s guess.
One big misconception overseas is that the entire country is on fire, it isn’t. Australia is 3 million square miles in area and the fires, while larger and longer than usual are primarily in regional and country areas with the smoke drifting into the cities. Many of those areas are likely to be well on the way to full recovery by the time you visit.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you sjmac42, Bokhara2 and KayF! I really appreciate you understanding my question and your kind replies. The situation in Australia reminds me of when we had the 1989 quake here in SF. The media made it appear that the entire city was gone or one fire and that the Bay Area was in the Bay. This, of course, was not true. I'm afraid my question originated from listening to some ignorant people here in the US. We are so excited to be coming to Australia and can't wait to visit! There will be plenty of lunches, pub visits and shopping

Old Jan 14th, 2020, 08:41 PM

It’s frustrating for us locals too, debtogo.

I saw that ridiculous map purporting to show the whole of Australia burning or burnt to a crisp.

Where did the idiots who published that bit of rubbish think we, the 25 million inhabitants were? Did they think we were bobbing around in the ocean on our surfboards & tinnies ( small aluminium boats)?

A dose of common sense and “ Stop! Think!” would not go astray.

Do come back & ask any questions you think we may be able to help with as you get into planning your trip.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 03:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi. We're in Melbourne and nothing most tourists would be interested in seeing has been in the fire zone so far. The city itself is untouched, except by smoke on some days. The Yarra Valley, Mornington Peninsula, Phillip Island are unaffected as well. There was a small fire near the end of the Puffing Billy in the Dandenongs but it's out and it was a small area. The Great Ocean Road had fires a few years ago so it's fine this year.

The areas in Victoria that are having bushfires are and don't see a lot of international tourism. This area is agricultural, wilderness areas and places that Victorians go camping. Same from what I see of people's itineraries in regards to fire areas of southern New South Wales. (which is a shame as that area is gorgeous).

It is heartbreaking, the massive losses to residents, to farming and to wildlife. This will affect Australia in many ways. Hopefully not because people stay away. It's really not necessary. You won't miss out on anything. .
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 11:10 AM

Brisbane cruise February 16

We have reservations to go to Sydney for a few days before the cruise and then leave from Brisbane on the 16th. Any advise?
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 12:16 PM

Please do not cancel. Melbourne and Sydney are not affected.
Yes Australia is burning, most of Australia is unaffected except for the smoke haze. But come October that will have gone.
October is a lovely month to visit.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 12:41 PM

https://www.fodors.com/community/new...ply&p=17047950

Post # 10 - advice about what, precisely?

If you’re looking for things to see & do, look at the Sydney & Brisbane destination tags & FAQs here on TA - and the “Visit Sydney/Visit Brisbane” websites.

If you want specific advice, ask whatever questions you need.

Neither Sydney nor Brisbane were affected by the fires in any way, other than smoke & poor air quality on some days.

It was raining in Sydney yesterday & with some luck, that will continue for a few days & extend to the country areas that need it more. That will help clear the air.
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To mamalirv - if your question is about whether you should stick to your plans - then definitely yes. No reason to stay away. As Bokhara says, if you have a different question, please let us know.

Just for info - Brisbane had a bit of smoke haze but that was a while ago. Normally in February you can expect hot days and blue skies.

Kay
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Much appreciated Bokhara! I will definitely take you up on the offer of information as we go through our planning stages.

Ah yes, that map! We have had the same experience here in Northern California with our Wine Country fires. We saw maps and articles published that every single winery and grape vine had been burnt to the ground. I think it was probably the same idiots!
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Millie! Your kind reply is much appreciated and I'm glad we have picked a great month to come.
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much CounterClifton! I greatly appreciate your information. I have been to Sydney (can't wait to go back!) but never to Melbourne and am very excited about seeing your beautiful city and surrounding area. I'm so glad you mentioned the Yarra Valley and Mornington Peninsula as these are 2 areas that are high on our list.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 04:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad to help debtogo! Both those areas should be very enjoyable in your time frame. Be sure to leave some time to explore the laneways in the city itself. Melbourne is known for those hidden streets with hidden shops, street art and cafes. Late October is my favourite time around here. You might get a bit of spring rain and the temps can vary quite a bit, but it's really the most pleasant time (IMO, coming from Missouri where we didn't have nearly the heat of a Melbourne summer). Grab a cheap umbrella once you're here, just in case, and enjoy.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 04:21 PM

Melbourne is such a beautiful city in Spring! Have fun planning and come back to ask us anything you need.