Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Is Mid October too late for the wildflowers in Western Australia?

Old Sep 25th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide whether it is more worthwhile to go to Perth/Margaret River in mid October or to Tasmania. We are wondering if the wildflowers will still be in bloom in mid October.
We realize the beaches will be cool at this time.

In Tasmania we are tempted by the ruggedness and pure beauty. We are from the Canadian Rockies and love the outdoors. Also like wine though not a priority.
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 03:35 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The wildflower season in WA runs through mid-October, but understandably varies with the weather each year.

Generally speaking, the further south in WA you go, the later the wildflower season.

Regions within WA and sometimes individual shires will publish current wildflower sightings online, here's an example:

http://www.wheatbelttourism.com/wild...flower-season/

October is also fly season in WA...well, October through about March! The beaches in WA might be warmer than you think, although the water is cold year round.

WA school holidays will have finished, which is good news.

TAS school holidays run through Oct 13.

School holidays in Australia = expensive accommodation, lots of people on the road, bookings for meals often necessary in busy places (like Margaret River).

I'm from Colorado and love the outdoors too (lived in WA for seven years). If I had to choose between WA and TAS based on time of year and my particular interests of hiking and natural beauty, I'd go with TAS.

Other things to consider - the amount of time you have. WA is a long way from the rest of OZ, and can be expensive to get to (and stay in). It's also HUGE, so you'd need to choose wisely based upon available time - lots on offer, particularly in the SW of the state which is lovely.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your prompt and informative answer. We are going to be in Australia for 6 weeks arriving Sept. 29. We share our time between homes in Canmore/ Banff, Alberta and Halifax, Nova Scotia.
So far we have a sailing trip booked for 4 nights in the Whitsundys, flying to Cairns and staying in Port Douglas and Palm Cove for a few days. Plan to see the Daintree, and more snorkelling on the outer reef.
From there we fly to Uluru and visit there and Kings Canyon. It is after this we have about 7 days to decide whether to go to Tasmania or WA. We would fly either way and rent a car. We love wildflowers but especially love rigged nature and hiking. After this time we are planning the Gold Coast and Great Ocean Road and a few days in Sydney. We are thinking the Gold Coast may not be our thing as too commercialized for us but still want to briefly experience it. We are concerned it may be like Myrtle Beach or the busier areas of Florida.
From Sydney we fly to NZ where we have a hike of Milford Sound booked and a camper van for 11 days. Otherwise we have 4 weeks in total and are wondering if we should concentrate only on South Island or do a bit of North Island.
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There's a lot more to the Gold Coast than Surfers Paradise & the theme parks. Given your other destinations on the mainland & interest in rugged country though, I would probably lean toward Tasmania, too.

6 weeks sounds like a long time, but will vanish quickly in our big country & I think for the sake of giving more time elsewhere, you could get your "long, semi deserted beaches " fix in Port Douglas.

Have fun - it looks like a really good Itinerary. The first time I went sailing in the Whitsundays was end of September- mid October & it was fabulous.

Just checking, were you thinking Gold Coast, Melbourne ( for the Great Ocean Road) Sydney & then NZ?
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. We are trying to decide from Alice Springs whether we should go directly to Tasmania or to Perth , then fly to Brisbane , rent a car , explore the Gold Coast area ( Fraser Island and Byron Bay especially)(5 days) then fly to Melbourne( maybe just a full day here) rent a car and drive the Great Ocean Road , then fly back to Sydney from Adeleide and a couple more days in Sydney seeing what we missed on our arrival ( Blue Mountains, Manly Beach) Then we fly to NZ for 4 weeks. We know there is a direct flight from Alice Springs to Perth and that the trip to Tasmania from Alice Springs would be a full day but we don't want that to dictate what we do. We are thinking we may want to decrease the Gold Coast days a bit and add to either Tasmania or Perth.
Any advice?
Old Sep 26th, 2016, 06:36 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, the flight from Alice to Perth is definitely shorter, but then the flight to Brisbane from Perth is quite a bit longer so I guess it's a moot point.

<It is after this we have about 7 days to decide whether to go to Tasmania or WA.>

As much as I love WA, I'm still inclined to suggest TAS, as seven days won't go very far in WA due to the vast distances.

Sure, you could spend a few days around Perth (Kings Park for wildflowers) then head down to Margaret River (close to a four hour drive, not including stops at places like Busselton). But, many people overlook the fact that Margaret River is a region...and a sprawling one at that. It's a time eater!

And the best of WA is still further south IMO, around Pemberton, Walpole and Denmark.

As for wildflowers, you can see them in many parts of Australia that time of year, including TAS. If wildflowers are your main focus though, Fitzgerald River Nat'l Park is the most botanically diverse spot in WA, but it's a serious haul from Perth - something like 520 km!

TAS is easier logistically - shorter drive distances, and you can see more in less time. We've visited twice, close to two weeks each time, and we'd still love to go back.

Are you spending much time in SA? Lots of ruggedness there, in addition to wonderful wine, green rolling hills and free roaming koalas. Lots of hiking opportunities in the Flinders Ranges, But WA has the better beaches! The Adelaide Hills, the Limestone coast - it's all good.

As for NZ, if you have four weeks, I suggest you see both islands. Personally, I'd allow three weeks for the south and one for the north, but I'm biased when it comes to the South Island, which I can't seem to get enough of.