Search

Australia/NZ - When to go

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Joni

Australia/NZ - When to go

I am planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand. My emphasis is on hiking, bird watching, animal watching and snorkeling. The areas I am planning to see are Queensland (Port Douglas, Mossman, Daintree), GBR (I can't handle boats very well so I am thinking I need to stay on an island I can snorkel directly from shore), Adelaide (to appease my husband's wine tasting interest), Kangaroo Island, and the South Island of NZ. My husband wants to end the trip at the GBR.<BR><BR>I am thinking of going around Sept/Oct as it seems like the best weather for Queensland and nice weather for South Australia as well. But will it be too cold for the South Island of NZ? Is there a better time to go to NZ and still have reasonable weather up in Queensland? Or is this impossible to achieve?<BR><BR>What order would you recommend for these sites and also can you suggest when to fly/drive and which carriers to use which offer the best prices/flight patterns?<BR><BR>I am only at the beginning planning stages so I am happy to take any suggestions!<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for all your help!<BR>Joni

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Joni

Still need help!<BR>Thanks,<BR>Joni

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 06:20 PM
ALF

Are you totally flexible in terms of time of year? If so, I would suggest first going to the South Island in late summer/early fall (February/March), South Australia/Victoria in early fall (March/April), then Queensland as the rainy season is ending (April/May).<BR><BR>I guess that you would want to fly something like LA - Christchurch - Adelaide - Cairns - LA (maybe with connections in Honolulu, Papeete, Auckland, and Melbourne).<BR><BR>You might want to re-think your willingness to take a boat out to the GBR. There are some largish wide-body catamarans that are very stable, and there are rarely any big waves between the Reef and the mainland.<BR><BR>Sounds like a fun trip!

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 10:22 AM
bill simpson

We did a trip similiar to what ALF recommends &amp; had good weather all the way but you never know about Mother Nature. We started the 1st of March to Auckland &amp; Christchurch, Sydney, drove to Melbourne &amp; Adelaide, then flew to Perth, Ayers Rock, Hobart, Brisbane (Sufers Paradise) &amp; Cairns (Port Douglas)ending the last part of April. Also agree with ALF on a trip to the reef. Quicksilver runs a large boat to the outer reef. A lot of people on it but Quicksilver has it fine tuned - good food &amp; lots of fun.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Christina

We went on a similar trip last August. It was cold on the south island but not frigid cold. I'm a Florida girl &amp; I had a jacket &amp; long johns and was comfortable. Even Coronet Peak Ski area wasn't too bad!<BR><BR>Sydney &amp; Adelaide had medium jacket days whereas KI was windy. GBR/Daintree was perfect. <BR><BR>I think mid-September would be a perfect time because things are starting to warm up all over &amp; the Daintree rains have yet to come.<BR><BR>We started in Auckland and ended at the GBR. You sound like you have a good handle on things. If you have the time, book it all yourself..you will save $$$. Try airfare through Qantas &amp; VirginBlue.com and fly as much as possible if you have a limited amount of time.