First trip to Australia for S. Cal fan from Costa Mesa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife just won free airfare to Australia. We want to go, but do not know where to start the planning. Are there any good tips for a first time visitor that was educated at S. Cal?
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Sorry Bob ...only UCLA fans are allowed into oz.

Seriously...
How long you got?
When can you come?
What do you like to do when travelling?

A typical two week US vacation to oz would include sydney and the great barrier reef and the outback.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Well, Bob1, congratulations! You should start your planning right here, and also at your library, where a copy of "Lonely Planet" (or similar) should start some ideas fermenting.

I'm sure this forum will yield a lot of great suggestions for you, but first we need to know a little about you and your wife. Most important: when are you planning to come, and how much time do you have? Next, do you want to see Australia's coastal area, to compare it with your home environment, or do you want to go inland into 'the outback'.... or possibly both? Do you want a relaxing holiday or an adventurous one? Do you like cities or rural areas? Are you prepared to splurge on the accommodation and sightseeing because you got the airfare free, or do you want to keep this a 'budget' holiday?And how do you plan to travel around once you arrive here?

With this information taken on board, our resident experts will soon have some suggested itineraries worked out for you. Please write again!
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Also, have a look at the official tourism site www.australia.com to get the creative juices flowing.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 09:38 PM

Hi Bob,

Gr8 advice from Alan, yes it depends on what your interests are.

I'd advise at least 5 days in Sydney & you could include in that 1 day's daytrip to the Blue Mountains.

Uluru (still commonly known as Ayer's Rock) & the Great Barrier Reef are probably the two iconic Australian things to see & do. I'd especially recommend the GBR as with Global Climate warming it will increasingly impact on the reef & lessen it's size of livng (colourful) coral in the future years. Want to take my twin 6 year old girls up there within the next 5 years.

Feel free to have a squiz at my Sydney Webpage at:

www.virtualtourist.com/m/5f1d7/1c86e2/ to have a look at a range of must see activities (from my perspective of course) & some good cafes & restaurants.

What time of year are you looking at coming? We have a very similar climate to SoCal.I personally think our best season is Autumn from March through May as we can still have really lovely warm, sunny days, but the evenings are becoming milder. Late March/early April can often be ideal. Late Nove/early December is another good time, but spring can often be a lot more variable with a 62 degree one day & a 100+ degree day soon after or vice versa.

regards from sunny Sydney,
Doug