Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australia-New Zealand Home Exchange Based Holiday 2018

Jun 10th, 2018, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

I am about to take what will be my 4th trip down under. Trip includes home exchanges in Perth Australia and Wellington New Zealand. Between the two exchanges, there is time in the tropical cities of Broome and Darwin and then a week on in a serviced apartment adjacent to the Great Barrier Reef. After all of that, I visit a friend in Melbourne and finish the trip with the home exchange in New Zealand.

If you want to follow my adventures, you can check my with my blog here:

https://altecockertravels.weebly.com...land-2018.html

There are links there to the subblogs describing the trip as it unfolds. The total length of the trip is 3 1/2 months. Airfare across the Pacific was courtesy of frequent flyer miles (going American, returning United).
Jun 11th, 2018, 11:34 AM

Enjoy your trip Lauren, happy to help if you need any suggestions for Perth.
Jun 11th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I plan to cover the area between the Pinnacles and Margaret River during the course of six weeks. You can reach me personally via email: [email protected]. I might be interested in going to "Carmen"--which is on while I am there. I live in DC. "Hamilton", is on here while I am gone--a huge disappointment but it will be back and I will eventually see it. I am a big theater nut in addition to being fascinated by Australia's unique outdoors--something I enjoy more than the animals. The koala/kangaroo thing is quickly over with.

I am not on fodors much. When I signed in, I noticed that I had not signed in 3 1/2 years.
Dec 31st, 2018, 04:53 PM

Hi Lauren

I’ve been reading your blog about Western Australia with interest as we intend to travel there later in the year.

I’m also thinking of a NZ North Island trip soon so was looking forward to reading your Wellington blog but only see photos, not text. Is there some other way to read the text?
Jan 1st, 2019, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

The reason you do not see text and the photos are not labeled is that I never got around to posting the text. In the outback, the second leg of the trip, I barely had electricity--much less connectivity. I ceased posting day to day because it was impossible. I never got back in the daily groove. So, twently lashes with a wet noodle for me.

When I got to places that had connectivity, i basically concentrated on getting all the photos loaded--a terrible chore when you have slow connectivity. I did finish loading photos a few moments ago and will move on to putting in some text. I just never caught up after the tour in The KImberly. I got so behind.

Then when I got home, I had two medical problems that needed dealing with. My right bicep was partially torn in The Kimberly in a fall. It was sort of a nuisance, but I assumed it would eventually heal. But, no, when I got home, the tendon tore entirely when I rolled over in bed (a very dangerous exercise). I also have a chronic back problem. At age 72, I had plenty of regular appointments with the Medicare assortment I have. The whole businesss got away from me.

What i am going to do is start working on text and labelling at least some of the photos. When I am done, I will be back here to tell everyone it is done.

Please accept my apology for the delay. If you have any specific questions, you can reach me directly at [email protected]. My trip to NZ this time was centered at my home exchange in Wellington, NZ. I also spent 4 lovely days in and around Blenheim, NZ, where my home exchanger's sister lives. She hosted me. I previously did a home exchange trip to the North Island where I stayed in Kamo on the North Island. I am not sure if that trip report is still up on my site or not. I do periodically remove blogs as the site can get overwhelming to visitors if they can't immediately find things. So, I do delete old blogs from time to time. Kamo is 2 3/4 hours NW of Auckland near the Bay of islands (which I recommend that you see). In my first trip I did a loop to Waitomo Caves and also visited Rotorura. I did not repeat any of those things on this visit. I was absoultely exhausted after 2 1/2 months in Australia covering Perth, The KImberly, Darwin, TheGreat Barrier Reef and Melbourne. A pretty much chilled a lot in Wellington due to my back, at that point, fairly well killing me.

Have a gret trip wherever you decide to travel. New Zealand is a beautiful country and is much larger than it looks in the typical mercator projection.

I returned to the US (and Donald, ugh, Trump) on September 30th and now it is dreary winter. One disadvantage of the trip is not having a summer. I had to go to Australia during the dry season to see The Kimberly and Cairns and The Great Barrier Reef. So, I had to structure the trip that way.

I am not on fodors much.
Jan 1st, 2019, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Perth was great except for all the rain while I was there. It was winter, and should be expected when you travel when it rains a lot.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:00 AM

Thanks Lauren

I didn’t mean to pressure you. I just enjoyed the Perth part and wondered what had happened to the NZ part. I hope you get better soon.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I worked on the Broome-Kimberly part last night. I am going to try and do a little each day. Check back in a couple of weeks and it should be finished. I am actually glad you said something because the longer I wait, the more I will forget.

Have a great trip wherever you go.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 09:13 PM

Thanks. I look forward to reading more of your blog.
Jul 10th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Once again apologies for the lateness of the trip report here. I had severe medical issues upon return which slowed everything down to a crawl. I first had surgery for a torn bicep (happened in The Kimberly as a result of a fall). I also had problems with my back, an ongoing poblem due to scoliosis. Surgery was in April 2018. Before surgery I had difficulty doing anything. After surgery, more of the same. Fortunately, most of those problems are rectified at this point. As I am shortly to go playing on a home exchange in Europe, I do want to get the last trip thoroughly done before leaving.

I am currently updating the the blog. Australia is done and Wellington will be in the next several days. Not every photo is captioned, but enough are to give you the general idea. At age almost 73, I have found that I do not bounce back as quickly from injuries as I used to.

Please note that the link to Wellington previously posted is wrong. The correct link is below:

https://altecockertravels.weebly.com...mber-2018.html

Next time I will do the blog first and then post the links.

Happy travels to all of you traveling this North American summer! I am going to Prague, Paris, Brittany (home exchange) and London. If you have specific questions, just post them here and I will see them.
Jul 11th, 2019, 03:11 AM

Hi Lauren

I really admire your independent travels at your age. I’m seven years younger than you but would be daunted doing on my own what you do. I hope you have a good trip to Europe this year and look forward to reading about it in the future.
Jul 12th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

OK, the blog is up to date with last summer's trip to both Australia/New Zealand. I don't know how many more trips I have in me. Moreover, if it is going to be very hot in Europe during the summer due to climate change, I won't go as frequently if at all. It is very difficult to get home exchanges in the off season as many exchangers are confined by the school schedule. Moreover, it is getting progressively harder and harder for me to sit on those long flights. Such is life. I have had a good run, but it cannot go on forever for any of us.
Jul 13th, 2019, 04:05 AM

I understand about physically deteriorating as we age. I will soon be having an operation on my foot, and my back is getting worse and worse and may need an operation soon too. It’s hard to plan travel when you don’t know how your health will be at the time you want to go. We’re flying to Western Australia in December to see our son and his family and will travel around the south west in a hire car on our own for a week then have a week in Perth to spend time with our son.

We didn’t get to NZ North Island this year but did a road trip in Australia instead as it was simpler with my limitations. We have been to the South Island twice. Next year we hope to go to Japan in April to visit our daughter and her family and then hopefully on to Europe, but all of that depends on my foot and back situation. Old age is a pain...

Judy
Jul 14th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

The alternative is worse.

My trips are certainly taken at a slower pace now than when I was young--that is for sure. I have a tour planned to South Africa in March, health willing.

I tell everyone to travel as much as they can when they are young.