Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

I have some questions about planning a trip to Tahiti and Australia

May 25th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Please forgive me if this has been asked before as I usually frequent the Europe board and this is my first time posting here!

My husband and I are considering a vacation next year to Australia but we want to include Tahiti or the Cook Islands and New Zealand as well. We do not want an organized tour. I was hoping that there is somewere where I could view flight/hotel packages that would include all three? If not, is the airfare between Australia and Tahiti very expensive?

Thanks!
Tracy
May 25th, 2004, 11:36 AM
ALF

Check out Air New Zealand Holidays:
http://www.airnz.co.nz/bookingsandof...rs/default.htm.

If you are coming from North America, it is not necessarily much more expensive to add a stop or two, compared to a round-trip fare.
May 25th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Tracy
Welcome to the Oz/Pacific end of the board!

You're talking about covering a huge area. Australia itself is roughly the same size as mainland USA, and you want to add a couple more countries (albeit smaller ones).

How much time do you have?

I think you need to decide what you really want to see / do?
May 25th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your help! To answer your questions, we will have roughly 3 weeks to spend. As far as Tahiti is concerned, we were hoping to stop there either on the way to/from Australia for 3-4 days. The area looks beautiful, but neither of us are real "beachy" people and would probably get stir-crazy after awhile. I remember seeing a few special offers from different airlines that included a free layover in either Tahiti or Fiji (I believe). Then we were interested in spending about a week in New Zealand and the rest of the time in Australia, concentrating on a small area probably around either Melbourne or Sydney. This would be our first trip to Australia for both of us and we would be coming from the US.

Thanks!
Tracy
May 25th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Tracy, a week in NZ, half a week in Tahiti/Fiji and one-and-a-half weeks in Australia is certainly a rush. If you're interested in a tropical stopover, you could consider Far North Queensland and the Great Barrier Reef as an alternative. This would avoid the complication of dealing with a third country, albeit you may not see taht as a problem. FNQ caters for "non-beachy" people very well. There are plenty of threads on this forum to check.

A week is not really doing justice to New Zealand, but it's do-able if you confine yourself to either the North or the South Island, but not both. Self-drive is the way to go in NZ, if you feel comfortable driving on the "wrong" side of the road.