Australia for a 3 week trip in June/July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am going to Australia at the end of June/beginning of July for 3 weeks. I am flying into and out of Sydney. I am traveling with a 2 year old and my husband. My thoughts are to stay in Sydney for a few days to see the sights, etc. Then, we thought of driving to Cairns....too lofty of an idea I think. So now we are trying to decide where to go...Cairns for sure. Where else? Brisbane and the Gold Coast? I thought of flying the Gold Coast, renting a car for a week, and then flying to Cairns and renting a car for a week, and then flying back to Sydney. Any thoughts? Do I need to do Gold Coast, or is there enough to do in Cairns for 2 weeks with a car? My husband wants to see rainforests...I want to see a nice hotel and some shopping . Any suggestions/advice would be great. Right now I am a bit overwhelmed.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM

Skip the Gold Coast and head for the Cairns area but stay somewhere like Palm Cove (nice) or Port Douglas not in downtown Cairns. Check out Kuranda, Quicksilver reef tours, rainforest. You can always drive into Cairns to visit/shop. We stayed in Palm Cove for 5 days 2004 and loved it. Good luck!
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Whatever you do, do not attempt driving to Cairns, especially with a 2 year old! If you'd like to do some driving and see some countryside, then maybe consider driving Sydney-Gold Coast (or Brisbane) then flying to Cairns OR flying Sydney-Mackay and driving to Cairns from there.

Two weeks based in Cairns seems a little long unless you're prepared to get well out of the city, e.g., driving up and down the coast to Townsville or Cooktown, and well inland, say to Undara.

I wouldnt rule out the Gold Coast and Brisbane in June/July. Cooler than Cairns but warmer than Sydney. Warm enough most days to sun on the beach. Plus some lovely scenery and rainforests to see inland (e.g.,Lamington Nat'l Park).
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I am thinking we will skip the drive to Cairns. Possibly fly to Gold Coast, spend a few days, and then fly to Cairns for a week and rent a car there. I heard the mosquitos were really bad in the rainforest area. Might just let me husband do that solo while my daughter and I stick near the pool.
Thanks again!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 02:15 AM

Another thought is Noosa and the Sunshine Coast. Only a short drive from Brisbane, or closer still Maroochydore airport, and nowhere near as tacky as the Gold Coast. Also some great coastal scenery, rain forests and wonderful seafood!.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM

mknudson: I was in North Queensland last July. I don't remember mosquitoes ( "mozzies" as the "Aussies" call them) being a problem at all.

Agree the Sunshine Coast is nice, though I think the hinterland to the Gold Coast offers more to see.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 12:19 PM

We were in the Cairns area in June and didn't have any mosquitoes at all. If oyu want a great place to stay with a little one in Port Douglas (it has a washer and dryer even in the studio and full cooking facilities plus a communal "barbie") stay at the Garrick House. it is a block from the beach in a quiet part of town but still within walking distance of all of the shops and restaurants. We loved it.
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Any mosquitoes near the pool are more of a potential problem than ones in the rainforest. Those near human habitation may have bitten another human. Hopefully by the time you get there the dengue fever outbreak will be finished. In the past they have not gone past April.

For your husband there are a number of types of rainforest. I suggest that he has a look at the ones north of the Daintree River with the palm understorey, in Mossman Gorge and on the Atherton Tablelands. Here he will find mid altitude rainforest around the beautiful crater lakes and the Curtain Figtree, while at Mt Hypipamee there is high altitude type.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information!