Search

Australia & Japan Trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australia & Japan Trip

Hey! My boyfriend and I, 20 and 21, are planning a trip to Australia and Japan. Any ideas on places we must see in other places or things to do? Definitely looking to do outdoor adventures, zipline, beaches, hikes, etc. but also explore the cities...
We are looking to stay in hostels and spend about a month in each country. Any advice would be awesome!
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 09:06 PM

Australia and Japan, one month in each, in the same trip - an interesting combination! Have you factored in the way the climates are opposites to each other between the continent of Australia and the country of Japan? What months have you in mind for which?
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 10:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
When?
Where?
How long?
Where from?
Itinerary?
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

from Calgary, Canada.
thinking about leaving in mid may.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

we are actually considering including thailand in the mix
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 11:24 AM

Mid-May is the onset of winter in parts of Australia - some outdoors stuff will not be happening and days will be awfully short.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Typical tourist route in Australia is Bridge, Reef & Rock.
Sydney, Cairns (for Great Barrier Reef)
Alice Springs & Uluru ( Ayres Rock) & "outback".

With a month, you might add Melbourne & some of Victoria and/ or Tasmania.

May is a lovely month to be in most of Australia. Winter starts in June and even in the coldest areas is nowhere as cold as Northern Hemisphere winters.

I'm not sure which outdoor activities Michel refers to as being curtailed. It's too early to ski, but all other outdoor sports & activities are in full swing. You might google "zip lining Australia" for a few pointers.

I suggest you do some research to formulate a rough itinerary and we can help you refine it.

With 7.7m km2 & 23m people, Australia is a large country, with big distances between major cities. Flying is the quickest & cheapest option, but with a reasonable timeframe like yours, some road trips can be nice.

It's sometimes helpful to keep in mind that posters here are not Travel Agents. We are, in the main, well travelled locals or tourists who like helping people plan & get the most out of their trips.

To do that, we need those seeking help to play their part.

That means :
doing some research to gain some idea if what's available, where. Not much sense asking about skiing at Uluru, for example.

Giving as much information as possible to help those trying to help you. Entry & exit points, or preliminary thoughts on those if you have not booked. Budget, whether you drive or will be relying on public transport, tours etc.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM

Just one example of reduced activity in the winter months: The excellent Bushwalking Victoria website (http://www.bushwalkingvictoria.org.a...ory/index.html) lists exactly 4 suggestions under Winter, 31 under Autumn, 37 under Spring, and 33 under Summer.
Doesn't mean you can't do anything, but like I said, some outdoor stuff won't be happening - check and double-check so you won't be disappointed, realise that the water temperatures may not be what you hope them to be, that beaches may be closed or unattended, and take into account the short days.
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 10:20 PM

Since you are planning a trip of one month in Australia and Japan, you can enjoy the road trip with your boyfriend. Hire some car from some renowned car rental company and go n have fun. It would be a lifetime experience for you both. I went to a 15 days trip with my gf. Booked a room in Brado's Backpackers, Sydney for 170 USD for 15 days from http://www.tripntourpackages.com and a car at 400 USD for 15 days from the same.I got a pretty fair deal through this site and yeah the trip was spell bounding.Good Luck!