Search

Aust Customs re food

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aust Customs re food

I know all the basic rules of the Aust customs system but was just wondering if anyone would have any idea if Chili Sauce would be a no go to bring in. It is a liquid sauce of spices no meat products. A friend has asked me to bring some for him. Any thoughts??

Thanks J
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM

I once brought chilli sauce in from the US a few years ago and had no problem with Customs. From memory its country of origin was Mexico. The food importation rules aren't particularly draconian IMO.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Oh I don't think the import rules are out of line at all. I just thought I would ask on the off chance that it was something anyone had had rejected so I wouldn't bother bringing it. I prefer to have nothing questionable if I can avoid it to make the whole process as smooth as possible. The rules are there for a reason that I respect.
J
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:16 PM

I guess this is a borderline item that depends on a judgement call by the inspector. Is it considered "organic plant matter"? Then it's a no-no. Is it considered to have been "processed"? Then it might pass.

If it doesn't cost much, then I'd take it along, declare it on the form (that's important - if you write it down then the worst that can happen is that they seize it, but you're off the hook) and see what happens.

Good luck

WK
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Walley my idea was to just pop it in my carry on declare it and when they want to see it it is right there. As yousay the worst case is they take it and that is no biggie really.
J