Aukland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aukland

Need feedback on the shopping in Aukland. Are there many markets similar to the ones in bangkok? What about the stores- many malls or shopping venues?

What is a good value there?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Hi Bill

Unfortunately you will not find markets in Auckland quite like the ones in Bangkok. However there are markets here.

The largest would be the Otara market in Otara Manukau, on a Saturday morning where you can get a good feel for the polynesian flavour of the city (Manukau city is part of greater Auckland and is about 15 minutes by motorway from downtown Auckland).

The main focus there seems to be food but there is other stuff to be had there.

There is a market in the city, called Victoria Park Market which is open all week. Really this sells a lot of mainstream stuff at mainsteam prices, i.e. nikes, adidas, levis etc. No bargains to be had there.

There are other periodic craft markets but the dates and times for these are variable. Check with your hotel concierge who should be able to let you know what is on where.

As far as general shopping is concerned, they say that Britain is a nation of shopkeepers. Well they evidently havn't been to Auckland.

Shopping is a major pastime here and there are lots of stores and malls.

For general shoppping the best malls are St Lukes in Sandringham, Auckland City and Botany Downs in Manukau city. You will need a map or directions to find both as neither is signposted before you get there however you can't miss them when you find them.

For high end shopping for fashion, etc, try the High street area in downtown Auckland. This area also has a good concentration of trendy bars and good coffee shops as well as Starbucks.

For the touristy things like carvings, local jewelery etc there are tourist shops around lower Queen Street in downtown Auckland.

As far as value for money is concerned it depends on what currency you are starting out with. If you have USD$ or GBP you will find the prices very attractive. If you have AUS$ then they are only just a bit cheaper.

Hope this helps a bit with your question.

Steve
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the adcie Steve- how about the food there. Are there good Chinese and Japanese restaurants?
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 09:39 PM

Bill

There are many good Japanese and Chines restaurants in Auckland. A good Chinese restaurant for lunch (Yum Cha) would be the Dragon Boat in Elliot street in the city. For Japanese food the Daikoku restaurants around the city are good. There are others as well.

This link lists some of Aucklands restaurants and cafes
http://www.wr2eat.co.nz/

It only has about 100 restaurants on it but it is a start. All up there are around 1,000 eateries in Auckland. With very wide variety of cuisines available.

Location wise if you were to head either to the Viaduct Basin, Ponsonby or Parnell you will find the greatest concentration of restaurants in these areas.

If you are coming to New Zealand try the local styled food with good local ingredients particularly the seafood.

Good places to get this are the Harbourside, Mikano, Hammerheads, and out on Waiheke Island, Mudbrick Cafe. These are just a few of the great restaurants here in Auckland. I could go on Vinnies up in Herne Bay, Essence, White the list goes on.

Hope this does not confuse too much.

Good luck and bon appetite with whatever you choose.

Steve
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kiwi-What is available in the way of nightlife there? Shows, theater etc?
Also are there day cruises that one can take. here is our formula for deciding where to go. A venue must have:
1) 5 start accomodations
2) Good chinese food
3) plenty of shopping
4) Interesting sights within a cab ride or train ride of where we are staying
5) River/bay cruises- day and/or night
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Hi Bill,

There are a variety of day cruises you can take. My husband and I took the ferry across the harbor to Devonport since we had limited time in Auckland, but you can go out to Waiheke Island and (I think) Rangitoto, among others. A good travel guide, like Fodors or Frommer's, will give you a lot of information.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Hi Bill

Here is a link to a site called The Edge. This is the entertainment district of Auckland with theatre movies the arts etc.

http://www.the-edge.co.nz/index_flash.htm

This site lists what is on.

Also on there are details about another market I forgot about. The weekend market in Aotea square.

For 5* accomodation I am a bit limited insofar as since I live here I have limited need for hotel accomodation. However location wise coupled with a good hotel, the Hilton on the waterfront would be good. The hotel is over the harbour on the end of a wharf.

The Ascot Metropolis is very centrally located in the middle of the boutique shopping area. The Stamford is good in that it is well located to the waterfront and restaurants.

My experience of these hotels is limited to eating there alone. As I said above, I live here, why stay in a hotel?

I asked one of my co workers who is chines and she suggested the following restaurants.

Dragon Boat - Elliot Street
Lotto's - Newmarket (Though this is an unlicenced restaurant, read no alcohol)
Grand Harbour - Viaduct Harbour

There are countless other Chinese reataurants. 10% of Auckland's population is chinese so it is not suprising that there are many Chinese food outlets. As the old rule of thumb goes, if a chinese restaurant is fullof chinese eating there chances are it is a good restaurant.

Local sights worth seeing include but are not limited to. The West coast beaches, great black sand beaches. You travel through a wine growing region to get there so well worth stopping to try the local produce.

The gulf islands. As Lee Ann has said you can catch ferrys out to the islands to explore nature on Islands such as Rangitoto and Great Barrier or enjoy the food and wine on Waiheke.

Follow this link for more information.
http://www.fullers.co.nz/

The city is dotted with volcanic cones which make good vantage point for seeing round the city.

I would suggest if you want to see Auckland and you do not wish to drive yourselves that you use a firm such as greatsights which has half and full day tours of the many attractions of the city.

http://www.new-zealand.com/GreatSights/auckland.html

Shopping as I mentioned earlier is all over Auckland and depending upon what you want you can get almost anything. If you are going to stay in 5* accomodation I am sure they can see you right with transfers to the best locations for your needs.

I hope some of this is useful to you in your planning.

Steve
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Steve- thanks for the tips you have been very helpful!