Search

Souvenirs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Souvenirs

Any ideas as to the best souvenirs to bring home from Australia, New Zealand and Fiji?Are there any shopping areas that shouldn't be missed? Thanks.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 03:59 PM

If you are coming to Sydney and need to get presents for children, the Australian Museum has some great native animal toys. Museum of Sydney also has some unusual gifts.

Aboriginal art could be another possibility, depending on your budget you could get a small canvas or print, a carving, a basket, necklaces made of seeds (I've seen the latter at Australian Museum).

Then of course there's the foodstuffs: wine, macadamia nut things.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM

For a treasure trove of inexpensive Australian souvenirs, Sydney's Paddy's Market (Haymarket location) is the place to go.

Literally dozens upon dozens of booths with everything from leather cowboy hats to didgeridoos, tee-shirts, boomerangs etc... they even have a food market....

Paddy's Market is located just past the Sydney Convention Center from Darling Harbor and is also a stop on the monorail.

http://www.paddysmarkets.com.au/

Keith
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:19 AM

From New Zealand I brought home items made from native woods, such as remu and kauri. Such as cutting boards, trivets, even a cheese board and knife, bookmarks, etc. You can find stuff in many tourist shops, but the stuff in the museums is much better quality. I bought almost all my wood items in a craftsmans co-op shop in Hokitika called the Hokitika Crafts Gallery. You can also get some good prices in the Auckland airport.

Another fun thing from NZ is the Cadbury's chocolate. You don't say where you're coming from but the chocolate in NZ tastes completely different from chocolate in the U.S.

Another inexpensive item is soaps and lotions made from the sulfuric mud in Rotorua. These are sold all over.

I also bought CDs of local musicians. I love Bic Runga, she's got a crazy beautiful voice.

for shopping that should not be missed, go to the museum shops (both adult and childrens) at the Te Papa Museum in Wellington. If you have little ones in your family it's a wonderful place to get books about New Zealand, with animals, etc.

Another place I liked was a small shop at the Octagon in Dunedin that sells merino wool clothing, made in New Zealand. I can't remember the name of it but it was on the side of the Octagon public space across from the Robert Burns statue. I found the best prices there -- a merino wool long-sleeved undershirt for $50 NZ, which is a bargain. It's got a big fuzzy sheep standing outside the shop...

I also enjoyed the Saturday farmers/artisans market in Nelson. I bought some lovely jewelry there made of paua shell and silver -- handmade, not the stuff you'd find in tourist shops.

In Auckland, there's the Victoria Park Market, which was filled with lots of souvenir-type things.

Another wonderful crafts market is the weekend artisans market in Christchurch at the Art Center Market. Fabulous gorgeous original things in various price ranges. It's attached to the Arts Center where there are lots of little artisans' shops and studios.

And of course, I brought home jewelry made of pounamu (New Zealand greenstone). I bought mostly at crafts markets and in galleries to make sure i was buying native stone and not something imported from China (which you have to be careful of in the tourist shops).

Hope this is helpful.
--hikrchick
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Nice shopping, Hikrchick!

For NZ, I will give a plug for Whittaker's chocolate. Although be careful as the weight adds up with chocolate (in the luggage I mean).

In the Christchurch weekend market there's a stand that sells little pewter castings, they make great gifts and don't take up much space.

Possum fur socks are another unique item that don't weigh much.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Another vote from across the ditch for New Zealand wool. In particular, the hiking range by Icebreaker, 100% Merino wool and they are fabulous for summer and winter, much better than those hi-tech fabrics. They dry easily and quickly and wash like magic. You can get smaller things like scarfs and hats as well as all kinds of layers. Great designs and colours also.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:03 AM

You can always buy a stuffed cane toad in Cairns!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:27 AM

The market in Kuranda (outside of Cairns) is full of vendors selling all sorts of souvenirs. We bought a digeradoo there, plus other stuff. It was interesting carrying it down the Skyrail since we stopped at all the stops and walked around! We got tee shirts at the Victoria Building in Sydney, which is a great place to shop just for the cool clock and architecture.
Sally in Seattle
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM

LOL Pat! Stuffed cane toad! hahahaha.

The one thing that always comes home in my luggage? Tim Tams.

Just back from a business trip to Australia last weekend and was delighted to find the "Love Potions" flavors for me at Coles --

Melodie
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM

Tim Tams are now available retail at Cost Plus World Markets (California and I don't know where else).
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM

New Zealand - Jade; Australia - Opals; Both - WINE!
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:24 PM

As stated by hikrchich - be very careful of the Greenstone in NZ. Most of the cheap and nasty jade is brought in from China.( although it may "possibly " be carved in NZ )
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Again - if you are in Sydney there is a really nice street market at The Rocks. Good quality and unique products. For a look at what to expect and opening days/times see the link below: -
www.therocksmarket.com.au
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Just a word of caution regarding souvenirs, not that I wish to dampen anyones enthusiasm.
Have a read up in the CITES convention which restricts trade in products made from endangered species. Many items which are on wide sale in a country are listed under the CITES convention, and may not be imported in to countrys which are signatory to the convention. For example Coral is on sale in every "hole in the wall" souvenir shop in Australia, yet it is a prohibited import under CITES
At the top of the list is Ivory, and also products derived from Tigers. Crocodile leather goods are another prohibited import. I don't think Cane Toads are on the list, but you can guarantee the smaller and more rare rain forest frogs are, and also tropical butterflies. Generally anything which was once living should be treated with caution.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Keith's suggestion of Paddy's Markets in Sydney is good, on price.

But pretty much nothing there is made in Australia - and some a revery tacky.

Depends a bit on if you want quality or quantity. The Rocks market has better stuff.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM

Migh,

but Cost Plus only has 2 varities - "original" and "caramel" (the later, my favorite...haven't tried out my Love Potions yet!

Melodie
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM

I've also seen Double-coated. But for the Tim Tam Slam, I still like the original the best.