Search

Auckland or Christchurch?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auckland or Christchurch?

Hi all,

Been reading all the posts to help plan my trip to NZ, and I gotta say, i'm so excited! My cousins and I are planning to trek milford and routeburn in December, and have to choose between auckland and christchurch as endpoints. Which one would you recommend, and what activities would you recommend we do? We're planning to stay around 2-3 days before we fly home to Manila.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:50 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you plan to spend most of your time on the South Island? Milford and Routeburn are on the South Island, so if you're spending the bulk of your time there, you'll probably want to fly into and out of Christchurch.

How much time are we talking about in addition to the 2-3 days you plan to spend in Christchurch or Auckland?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 04:59 AM

I'm assuming that your flight back to Manila can be from either without extra cost? yes?

In which case. CHC is a nicer city but ACK has more to do. I don't much like Auckland centre but it would be a contrast to all that countryside. Especially if so far you have tramped and done not much else besides.

Yeh - Auckland, Go take a look at the War Memorial Museum; walk the Domain: go to Devenport or Waiheke Island on the ferry.

Or if museums really bore you - there's always Rotorua. A few hours away by bus.

The latter would depend on flight timings into Ack and out on your homeward trip. How much time will you have exactly?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the immediate feedback! Melnq8, we're planning to stay approx 4 days Sydney, 4 days milford, 3 days te anau (to rest between treks), 3 days routeburn, then the last 3 days auckland or christchurch. Chimani, yes, no extra cost from either Auck or Christchurch, so our decision would just depend on the activities there are to do. We're thinking more of something like wine country (heard the mussels are great?) and something at a relaxed pace (to recuperate from the trekking and kayaking). Are there any good wine and food areas around Christchurch or Auckland, and if so, which would you recommend?

What do you think of our itinerary? This is the first time for all of us in NZ and we prefer to spend more time in less but fanatastic places, rather than squeeze in everything and just get burned out. We LOVE nature and trekking (especially since NZ mountains and fjords are so different from what we can see in the Philippines....beaches, beaches, beaches).

Thanks for all your comments!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 05:38 PM

katsby -

You may already know this, but you must book both the Milford and the Routeburn tracks during the season (Nov-April).

Suggest you fly into Christchurch, then catch a flight to Queentown, instead of driving, as this will save you time. I assume you plan to book public transport to and from the tracks? You can then fly from Queenstown back to Christchurch, spend a few days, then catch your flight home.

The Waipara Valley near Christchurch has over a dozen wineries.

Christchurch is also home to several museums, art galleries, Cathedral Square, an aquarium, the International Antarctic Center, Canterbury Brewery, a gondola, nearby Banks Peninsula, etc.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks melnq8! we're planning to go first week in december. hope that's ok!

We seem to be leaning towards Christchurch....and yes, we're flying into Queenstown. My cousin is the "athlete", so he's doing research on the trekking legs. I, on the other hand, am responsible for the leisure part of the trip.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

i'll post this separately, but i'd like your opinions and suggestions for the milford and routeburn treks. Any experience to share? I did the Santiago de Compostela trek last year, so i'm not such a greenhorn, but still would appreciate guidance from the more experienced trekkers.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM

I've only walked a small portion of the Routeburn as a day hike, so I can't help much. I posted the DOC website on your other thread though - you'll find all the info you need there.

Have a great trip.