Search

Atherton Tableland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atherton Tableland

We have received lots of great suggestions on our tour and have booked up to the point where we get back to Cairns from Peppers. My question is whether we should add some time in the Cairns region to visit the Atherton Tableland. Should we hire a car (flexibility ?) or use the skyrail/railway (views but less flexible?). Or should we head off towards the red centre and south as originally thought? Any time spent at Atherton obviously takes time away from the South.

Original idea:-

Dec 15 Fly into Sydney
Dec 16 Sightseeing (but we will return at the end of the trip)
Dec 17 Fly to Cairns
Dec 18 - 21 Join Spirit of Freedom Liveaboard for 3 night Cod Hole and Ribbon Reef dive trip
Dec 21 Return to Cairns
Dec 22 - 26 Peppers Bloomfield - rainforest, sailing etc
Dec 27 Fly to Ayres Rock (stay at the Lost Camel) and hire a car to explore a little (recognising that it will be hot and that there will be flies)
Dec 29 Fly to Melbourne

Here we have about 9 days to fill before getting back to Sydney on January 8th to explore the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley and enjoy the city before flying out on 13th January. Still wrestling between South Aus/Victoria/Tasmania for these days but posts on this topic have been really helpful.

So what about the Atherton Tableland region - taking into account the other bits of our trip?

Cheers

Annelli
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:53 AM

Your itinerary as is sounds very good. We spent a little time on the tablelands and really enjoyed it though. From there we also drove out to Undara for our taste of "outback" and it was quite an experience and definitely satisfied in that regard. We didn't want to do the time/expense of flying to Uluru.

If you go out to the tablelands DEFINITELY rent a car. The skyrail will only take you to Kuranda.

I wrote a long trip report you could look for if interested.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

PB & I

Thanks - have looked up your trip report - very helpful

Annelli
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Taking the train or skyrail to Kuranda does not give you a real visit in the Tablelands. For that you would need a car. We really enjoy that part of the country. It is so different from the coast and the small towns are delightful...(look for Queensland Tidy Town awards) I recommend a drive through the Tablelands if you have the time. Going to Kuranda should be considered a separate day's outing. I haven't been to the red centre so can't compare that vs. tablelands.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 12:13 AM

I suggest you hire a car and visit the waterfalls at the southern end - Kuranda is at the northern end.