Search

Do I need to rent a car in Cairns?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to rent a car in Cairns?

Hi,
We are going to Cairns for 3 nights in late November and am trying to decide if we need to rent a car there.
Since we are there only for 3 nights we are thinking that we could manage by taking tours to the reef and the rainforest area and therefore would not need a car. But after reading some posts and trip reports here seems like having a car might give us much more flexibility.
Is it worth renting a car for such short time? We definetly want to visit the GBDR but the next day we are planning a trip to kurunda rain forest, is this fine or do you think we should visit some other place?

Any info will be greatly appreciated
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 02:18 PM

If you are sticking pretty much to Cairns, I wouldn't bother with a car (depending on where you are staying). If you are staying close to the center of town you would be able to walk to restaurants and the docks for your GBR trip. Kurunda rain forest is fine. The other options you might consider would be a day trip up to Cape Tribulation and Mossman Gorge. We did a trip up there with Wilderness Challenge (www.wilderness-challenge.com.au) and had a wonderful time.
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 06:31 PM

With only a three day lay over you can fill it without a car. Save that for when you come back to look at the place. On the other hand you could take a drive of one day through the Atherton Tablelands and work out where to base your next visit.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 05:22 PM

I guess 3 nights is really only 2 full days and most of Cairns is within walking distance of Marlin Marina for reef departure. If not, all reef trips will provide accommodation transfers. Anyone contemplating a reef trip should spend a couple of hours at Reef Teach in Cairns city (6.30-8.30pm Mon-Sat) www.reefteach.com.au

By "Kuranda rain forest", do you mean the Kuranda Scenic Train/Skyrail combo? If so, Skyrail provides a shuttle service from accommodation to Freshwater Station, north of Cairns and return from Skyrail (or reverse).

For a different rainforest day trip out of Cairns, especially if you hope to see wildlife, see www.wildernessecosafaris.com - this local operator takes a maximum of 7 and picks up and drops off at accommodation in Cairns area. Genuine off-road 4WD for rainforests off the beaten tourist track.