Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Are Hotels Accepting Vouchers from Swain Tours/Far and Wide?

Oct 10th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

We have our Honeymoon coming up in January and have heard that Far and Wide filed for Bankruptcy protection and that Hotels/resorts were not accepting either Far and Wide or Swain Tours vouchers. Does anyone know about this? Please help???
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:49 PM

Although I don't have the latest news, at the end of August/beginning of September Swain vouchers were still accepted. Hopefully the bankruptcy talk is not true. We were very pleased with Swain.
Oct 10th, 2003, 01:53 PM

I just did a Google search. You are right about Far and Wide filing for bankruptcy! Personally, I would be hesitant to use their services at this point. What a pity. We had such great service from Swain.
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Not to be unethical, but Frommers.com has run several articles on what to do if you had booked with Far and Wide, or their subsidiaries. In some cases other airlines/and or hotels/tour companies are picking up where Far and Wide left off. From what I understand a great deal of traveller's were stuck MID trip when Far and Wide when under. Check Frommers' and also, if you paid with a CC you may be able to fight any pre-charged items through your ccrd company. Good Luck.
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:42 PM

Hi There,
One more thing... Far and Wide posted a great deal of information on it's website. Including contact numbers and all sorts of info.

http://www.farandwide.com/
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:43 PM
sandi

A number of companies under the Far and Wide umbrella, Swain included, are trying to buy back their good names. We used them for out trip to OZ and were working with them just recently (but had to postpone trip).

Honeymon03 - have you tried contacting Swain? Is there anyone there? A message? If you're not going till January then an I correct in that all you have with Swain is a deposit? Which, no doubt, you'd like back!!! You shouldn't have had to pay in full yet, so you wouldn't have any vouchers. Believe payment in full is due 60-days prior

As stated above, see the Frommers article and see if there is an option for you.

Oct 24th, 2003, 09:18 AM
zamarin

Has anyone had any luck getting in touch with Swain? We have a deposit with them and haven't heard back. I have not contacted my credit card company yet because I wanted to see if Swain was trying to continue working.

Oct 24th, 2003, 01:55 PM

That's to bad, I was about to book my Honeymoon through Swain Australia as well for April. Great, back to do some research.
Oct 24th, 2003, 02:13 PM
zamarin

To follow up, soon after I posted I did hear back from Swain. They say they are still operating. If you have a deposit from prior to the bankruptcy, however, you should contact them to find out if it is with Far and Wide (as mine was).