Search

AOL Instant Messenger

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOL Instant Messenger

Is AOL Instant Messenger widely used in Australia?
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Do I need to use AOL or can I use another internet provider and use AIM IM for free as in the US?
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 11:31 PM

Although AOL have a presence here in oz they are a minor player in the market.
windows and yahoo messenger are the leaders in instant messenging.

If you are coming here as a tourist for a short period, the best internet strategy is to use internet cafes which are cheap and ubiquitous.You can use aol IM or other im at cafes.

If you are here for an extended period,see aol.com.au to use aol australia as a usp.

International phone cards can give very cheap rates.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Hi Sue:

I plan on using AOL Instant Messenger when I'm in New Zealand in the fall and anticipate using it via the JAVA version from any PCs browser at my hotel or an Internet Cafe (Canadian AOL site www.aol.ca/aim/QBCaEng.html and log into AIM with AOL screenname, I assume there will be a US equivalent).

While I've not used this approach from Australia, I have from Europe & Africa and it work fine with no AOL charges (but did have to pay for the time to use the hotel's PC & Internet Cafe).

While I've never taken my PC to these locations, I have connected to the local AOL #'s with my PalmPilot (using its modem) and in addition to the phone call charge (from the hotel), AOL did charge for the international usage (about $5/hour & I think my total connection time for about 10 calls via the PalmPilot was about $3).

Hope this helps.

Z
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 09:39 PM

sue,

AOL IM works from anywhere, just as the other free messenger programs do. You won't need to have an AOL subscription, as long as you have a PC with some internet provider and on which the AOL IM program is installed. Still have to have their little login name registered though, but it's not the same as an AOL ISP account.