An Aussie Fodors GTG - thoughts, interest?

Jan 6th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

An Aussie Fodors GTG - thoughts, interest?

I had a thought to see if we could organise an Australian Fodor's get together. I met some lovely Fodorites in Paris last year and thoroughly enjoyed the GTG.

Clifton, a regular poster, has now moved to Melbourne and I guess it was his move that had me thinking about how nice it would be to meet him and perhaps other Aussie contributors.

So folks, what do you think? Can it be done? I thought that Melbourne could be a good place for a GTG as it's sort of central for anyone who might be thinking of coming from Perth (Mel!!!!!!!!!!!) and myself from Brisbane, not too far from Neil_Oz and Bokhara, a bit of a journey for Pat Woodford. BUT fares are so cheap now.

What do you all think? The most important thing to set would be the date and the place - please, please make some suggestions and let's see if we can come up with some common denominators.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this would be the first Australian GTG - can anyone enlighten me about that?

So come on folks are we in or out?

Stormbird
Jan 6th, 2010, 04:51 PM

I'd be up for it, Stormbird. Melbourne's fine with me too - one of my favourite places. Webjet's just sent a tempting list of flights & prices ....
Jan 6th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic Bokhara - what time of year - I was thinking perhaps May or September?
Jan 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM

I could be tempted, if I can get away!
Jan 6th, 2010, 05:54 PM

I'm pretty flexible, Stormbird so either is fine with me. Don't have anklebiter restrictions and it's only a quick flight from Sydney.
Jan 6th, 2010, 06:26 PM

I'm certainly tempted...late May would probably work for me...we've tenatively set aside September for NZ, but no firm plans yet. My interest is definitely piqued though. I'm clueless about flights from here to MELB, so I'll do a bit of research.
Jan 6th, 2010, 07:01 PM

Nice idea, stormbird. Can't do May at all, its our slackest month of the year up here and will be out of the country for the entire month.

If its to be September, what about holding it in in FNQ? Am not suggesting this in attempt to avoid a trip to Melbourne, but if anyone would like to combine the GTG with a break from home, I can promise the weather will be far better than Melbourne. Not too hot, Melnq, I know its a long way from Perth, but we get lots of visitors from WA at that time of year.
Jan 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Count me in for FNQ, I haven't been in eons.
Jan 6th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi Pat,

I am seriously open to suggestions - so feedback people!!! Thoughts on FNQ as a destination??

Personally, I'd prefer May but only because it is sooner rather than later.

Also personally, I would like to see what Mel says as she would probably have the furtherest (is that a word???) to travel. I suggested Melbourne really with her in mind.

Eventually though someone (me maybe?) will have to make an executive decision but more imput still yet.
Jan 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM

FNQ fine with me, September rather than May for preference. I'm OK most months, probably not late June - mid July if it's not just a short hop like Melbourne or Brisbane.
Jan 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM

I believe the word is farthest, but don't quote me on that.

I'm game for FNQ, haven't been there since the early 90's. The spouse will no doubt be interested too if I say the magic words 'scuba diving'. I checked flights and it looks like a four hour flight and a two hour time difference - does that sound right?
Jan 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM

I could probably do May in Melbourne (if I don't finally do that trip to Malaysia).

I've haunted the extremely patient Pat (again!) recently - so probably won't head to Cairns!

I've met some Fodorites in Sydney. Marilyn from Texas (who subsequently disappeared, John J (Sydney) and Steve (Florida, I think) and spoken to the sadly misplaced (to TA) hotel guru for Sydney Alan H. Some others whose names have just left me.
Jan 6th, 2010, 11:27 PM

That's where I'm going in May, margo. Malaysia and Turkey. We could have a mini GTG in KL!

Melnq, I only looked quickly, but the shortest flight duration I can Cairns-Perth is 5.05hrs with Jetstar. 2 hours is the correct time difference in September, Qld doesn't have daylight saving Oct-Mar. Didn't I see that WA was going onto daylight saving, or was that just a trial?
Jan 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM

The good folks of WA decided they didn't like daylight savings Pat, so it was abolished this year. I'm still trying to get used to the sun coming up at 4:30 am.
Jan 6th, 2010, 11:51 PM

I think a GTG is a great idea, although I don't feel one of the "in group' and so wouldn't come, I wish you all the best and hope you get it going!
Jan 7th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Hey Libretto, I'm not in a group, what's the Groucho Marx line about that, "any group that will have me I don't want to join." So please come along!
Jan 7th, 2010, 01:45 PM

I don't think it's a group thing if i am correct-just online folks who use Fodors and live in Australia. I am interested.
Jan 7th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Hey Pat,

Great time of year to visit Turkey! Are you visiting Cappadocia? We have friends who work there April - December - he's a hot air balloon pilot - great guy to fly with.

Fantastic destination - love love Turkey.

Looks like FNQ is shaping up to be the place.
Jan 7th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Would sheepish cuzzies be welcome?
Jan 7th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Oh Rob, I was going to send a note out to our sheepish cuzzies! How fantastic if you could make it!!!

Would September in Cairns work for you? Oh BTW you may have to BYO sheep though - hope that's not a problem!

Taking into account September school holidays I'm thinking the GTG could be set for the 4th September.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO