Search

Alice Springs / Yulara

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alice Springs / Yulara

Hey, I've not visited Fodors for about four years (shame on me, but we haven't been travelling) and it is so cool to see the 'old' familiar names are still around.
Having said we have not been travelling, in March we were in Rarotonga and Atiu Island for 2 weeks for our daughter's wedding and a holiday, and now we are going to visit Alice Springs / Yulara / Uluru in July 2010 !!
I would love some unbiased info please as we want to do the area justice in the 6 1/2 days we have in Alice and 2 days in Yulara.
Just exactly what is in Yulara, please? We know about Uluru and the Olgas which we will be visiting but cannot find anything else even though I have searched many sites on the Internet. What we want to do is visit Kings Canyon one day, but can only find a trip from Yulara. If we do this, are we going to miss out on other interesting places around Yulara. We are taking a bus on the Monday from Alice to Uluru arriving there approx. 1 pm, and leave on the Wednesday at 2ish, flying to Sydney.
If anyone knows of a day trip to Kings Canyon from Alice could you please let me know? The same with any knowledge of Yulara, etc.
Thank you so much.
Dot
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM

I’ve been to Yulara / Ularu / Olgas several times.

Yulara is a resort, with a range of accommodation. There’s a camping ground, back packer / dorm type place, motel, apartments and a five star place, plus a range of stuff in between. There are no other accommodation options there. I’ve stayed at the back packer place, the motel, and a several nights at the five star spot, “Sails in the Desert”. All were OK, but it is not cheap.

I assume that you fly out of Yulara to Sydney.

You will need either a car there, or take some bus tours. You have 6 ½ days in Alice, and then a half day, a full day and another half day in Yulara. I think that a bit more time in Yulara, and less in Alice might be better – think about going to Yulara a day earlier. From Yulara to Ularu is about 15 kilometres, and Yulara to the Olgas is 50 kilometres.

Bus from Alice to Kings Canyon, leaving really early.
Walk around Kings Canyon.
Take bus to Yulara, and you’d arrive in the evening. That will be a big day.
Night at Yulara.

Morning – Ularu for sunrise, walk around the rock (on no account climb it) and spend some time at the visitor centre.
Evening – it’s worth going back to the rock at sunset.

Next day – go to the Olgas, and take the Valley of the Winds walk. It’s about a five kilometre walk, and quite special. There almost a spiritual feeling to the Olgas, a feeling of habitation, ancient habitation.
Evening – Yulara, and there is a BBQ at the back packer place that is quite fun.

Next day – fly out to Sydney from Yulara.

This website might help for bus tours
http://www.aatkings.com/au/?gclid=CN...FSYoawodgnaAbA

For accommodation, try this: http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/

I’ve written a bit about travelling in that part of the world, and they are on Fodors. They’ve sunk down the list, and I’ll refresh them so they come up.

I did a hot air balloon flight in Alice – good fun.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:09 PM

Sorry to bleat on, but think about turning your visit around. Fly to Ularu, bus to Alice via Kings Canyon, then fly out of Alice to Sydney.

There’s a Greyhound tour that does Ularu/Kings Cannyon / Alice Springs. I’ve done it.

It’s on this web site:
http://www.travelaust.com.au/adventu...06.html#AK-Y23

It gives you about 4 hours at Kings Canyon, which is enough.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Peter,
Thanks for your quick responses. We have already booked our flights from NZ and have a really good deal, so changing them might be a problem. However, at this point we have not booked accommodation - this being in part because we did not know enough about Yulara or how much time to spend there.
I should have added we are both in our 60s, working on our fitness for the trip, and we are not used to staying in resorts. We are both used to very long days so have no concerns about spending a whole day out and about. We most certainly will not be climbing Uluru.
I'd love to do the balloon flight but I am a big sook, and don't like flying in anything smaller than a 747. I stunned myself taking the little 10-seater plane to Atiu Island from Rarotonga, but that was because I desparately wanted to meet the Birdman there and see the beautiful birds. We did both, and I was wrapped. Maybe I need to start working on the idea now!
I will check out those websites. I am already interested in several trips with AAT Kings, and may look again at the Alice to Yulara section.
Ciao,
Dot
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM

Hi Dot,
The “feel” of Yulara is more like a village than a resort, because Yulara does function as a self contained township, albeit a township that is reliant on the tourist dollar.

It is not in the least like a “Club Med” type of resort.

I’d suggest that you email AAT-Kings, and ask them if it is possible to visit Kings Canyon on the way from Alice to Ularu.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM

How far is Alice Springs from Sydney.
Is it a conceivable drive?
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:39 PM

It is 2800 kilometres from Sydney to Alice Springs.
It's a concievable drive, and would be about three days of pretty serious driving through country that is mostly not very scenic.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 05:47 AM

Why so much time in Alice? Can you not move your bus trip up 2 days, allowing for an overnight at Kings Canyon?
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Peter,
Have been away for the start of the school hols, back now.
Once again thank you for your help. AAT Kings only do Kings Canyon in one day from Yulara, otherwise it is an overnighter. I have located a day trip from Alice with another company - Emu Run Tours - so will probably go with them. It is just too expensive to spend another night in Yulara, hence the reason why I want to find a tour from Alice.
If you manage to bring up the other postings from earlier times, I would love to read them, please, Peter.
KimbyMT - I have found so much to do in Alice - lots of fascinating places that I have heard of and read about over many years, and I now have a chance to visit them. We have arranged enough time in Yulara to do most of the area justice.
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Hi Dot,
a couple of trip reports from a while ago. But it may give you a feel for outback Aus.
http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...-melbourne.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...-road-trip.cfm