Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Phoenix-Tucson-Sedona: In July?? Yes, we did...

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This trip all came about because of a decision I made several years ago to return to college to finally finish my degree. Yes, I’m one of those so-called “mid-career professionals” who are drawn the University of Phoenix. For the past 2-1/2 years I’ve been a full-time student and working more than full time. I became determined to walk in the graduation at Phoenix. No, I didn’t stop to think that would likely be in the middle of summer. Tickets to Arizona came as a gift from our friends Bob and Lisa, who put up with all bitching and complaining for the past couple of years, and they joined us on the trip. So, off to Phoenix we went, the 4 of us.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thursday, July 16

We caught an early morning flight from Orlando to Phoenix and headed first for Tucson. I had used Priceline to win rooms at the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort ($55/night) – what a beautiful resort!

On the way we stopped at Casa Grande, watched the video and toured the grounds – well, as much as we could; it was getting pretty darned hot. Still, well worth the stop. From there, we continued on to the Saguaro National Park (West). By then it was beyond hot, so we didn’t trek through the cacti but went on to the Visitors Center. From there, the views were awesome, there was shade, and one could duck into the gift shop to cool down. Which means that we (of course) bought a load of souvenirs. And watched the video – it is really pretty good, and at the end the screen comes up and the blinds open onto a stunning vista of the park.

We took the back road on into Tucson. By this time we were starving, and made a stop at El Charro Café (the original, downtown one). We’ve been there a few other times, and I crave their carne seca. I’m thinking about it right now….. Our friends are guacamole fans, and the huge bowl that was brought out to them was almost as big a hit as the margaritas. The place is really a sight – full of historic chatchkeys and colorful. A truly satisfying stop.

On to Loews, which is really outside town and up in the Santa Catalina foothills. We lingered in the lounge listening to some pretty good live music and enjoying the view. I only wish we could have stayed longer….
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Friday, July 17

But the next morning, we were up bright and early, headed for the Sonoran Desert Museum. We found our friends outside, ogling an enormous Saguaro cactus and chatting up the valet – who ended up taking pictures of the silly tourists posing by the cactus. We were aiming to get to the Desert Museum at opening, and were only about ½ hour late. Even so….hot hot hot hot hot. Our friends were absolutely fascinated, and we walked through the entire thing, lingering several hours. My graduation gift from them turned out to be a lovely but prickly cactus garden from the gift shop…yes, it made it home in one piece. The only cactus spines we ran afoul of were in the parking lot. DH wasn’t paying attention when he was getting out of the car and ran right into one. I think he’s still pulling out the little buggers…

We got to Phoenix just in time for the campus tour in the afternoon. Our hotel in Phoenix (another Priceline win) was the Scottsdale Resort and Conference Center. Where does all the water come from to keep Scottsdale so lush and green???? The resort is lovely, although I think that the rock and cactus natural landscaping is more to my liking. We had dinner at the Pinnacle Peak – a real convention touristy type of place, but the steaks were really good. I hadn’t been there since 1996, and I was shocked by how things have built up all around it. Oh well.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Saturday, July 18

Graduation Day!!! I won’t bore you with many details here. Only that 116 degrees in a black robe is cruel and unusual. Good thing that was just walking to/from the parking lot, and in between was A/C. Oh, and the Scottish marching band was the highlight of the whole thing for me.

A number of fodorites gave me some advice on where to have our special dinner. In the end, we ate right at the resort – at the Palm Court. And I am not sorry we did. Looking at the menu, it didn’t seem all that fancy, but the magic was in the cooking. My rack of lamb was crusted with mustardy crumbs and served with spaghetti squash and other fresh veggies, plus some lovely potatoes. That, and the tableside preparation of our salads. I had the wilted spinach salad, DH had a Caesar salad. The dressings were prepared from scratch as we watched – even to cooking the bacon for my hot bacon dressing. They were running a summer special, so one entrée was free for each couple. Oh, yes – we also at the breakfast buffet at their Vista Verde restaurant, and it was delicious also. Just really pricey.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Sunday

No breakfast in Phoenix this morning – we were off bright and early for Sedona. We did come up the back way, through Cottonwood, to avoid the road construction (although we returned that way, and it’s not really so bad now – guess they’re almost done). Breakfast was at Café Jose in Sedona – their $3.99 huevos rancheros are pretty tasty. Then up to the DQ to look at jewelry, have an after-breakfast Blizzard, and generally spend money. By now it was pretty hot, so we stopped off at Grasshopper Point and trekked down to Oak Creek. I have wanted to get in that water for years – boy, is it cold! But wonderful. Finally persuaded to come out of the water by DH, we set off again. Downtown Sedona – more shopping – then on to Jerome to visit the old mine/junk yard. Love that place, and were able to avoid the shops at last.

We did stop on the way back at Rock Springs, and picked up a couple of pies to take back to Florida. If anybody is curious – TSA doesn’t object, although they really were angling for a piece themselves. DH and I will be back in September for a week’s vacation at Los Abrigados in Sedona, so we’ll have a more leisurely time then.

Oh, by the way – the bar at the Scottsdale Resort makes the best hamburgers I have ever eaten. They are charred on the outside and a bit smoky – like a mesquite grilled steak. I asked for mine with roasted green chiles and Monterey jack cheese – yummy. For those who think that hamburgers are boring gut bombs – still, try one of these. I’m trying to figure out how to justify a “burger detour” when we are out there again in September…
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Monday

Time to get back on the plane and return to routine. For once, Orlando didn’t seem quite so hot, although it was certainly humid. For those who helped to guide me through this planning, thank you so much. I couldn’t see or do everything that was suggested, but have added it to my “good ideas” list for our September trip. For those who are planning a trip to Arizona this summer – well, I do hope you know it’s hot. But summer is when there are real bargains at the resorts and restaurants. That leaves more $$ for interesting jars of salsa, cactus gardens, jewelry, and all the other gotta-have stuff you just know you’ll buy…
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:21 PM

sludick - First, congratulations on your educational accomplishment! I graduated at the ripe old age of 40 (one of the younger students said, "You're one of those 'abnormal students,' aren't you?" I replied that we preferred being called non-traditional, thank you very much!

We leave Saturday for Sedona, so I'll find out firsthand what it's like in August..... I hope the area is in for a little cool wave.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM

sludick,
Congratulations!!!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 06:48 PM

Old Jul 31st, 2009, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

twina49 -- Sedona was about 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Enjoy yourselves! And congratulations to you, too!.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 04:56 AM

Glad you graduated and posted. Sounds like a lot of fun and good eats.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 05:29 AM

$55 for Loews Ventana Canyon Resort is a killer!

In winter it starts at $200 - and this is still good value for money.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:48 AM

You advices are noted, we'll be there in October. Thank you for posting this report!
Faina.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 08:55 AM

congrats on graduation, and thanks for a great report!
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

traveller1959 -- the rack rate for the room we stayed in at Loews was, I believe, $439; we were thrilled to get it. At Scottsdale Resort we also paid $55. The employees at Loews all appeared to be very well trained. Scottsdale was not so much, although I think the restaurants were better than at Loews. Overall, Loews was my favorite, though.

Dayenu -- have fun! October will be much milder, I think.

Thank you to all for your kind comments.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM

I assume that when you say 'Casa Grande', you are talking about the national monument and not the city.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Oh, yes -- thank you, I should have been more clear. The National Monument.