Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Alan will you be seeing us at the Australian Heritage Hotel?

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondered if you really were planning to stop at the Australian Heritage Hotel to see us. You mentioned a trip to India. Perhaps you won't be back in time to pay us a visit. When do you return from India? We arrive Nov. 14 early evening and depart for the US on Nov. 18.

If not,many thanks for all your help and information about Sydney. Hope we can manage the Spit Bridge-Manly walk.

John and Emily
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 05:40 AM

Alas, John and Emily, our timing couldn't be worse. We return to Sydney on the morning of November 19... just about the time, I guess, you will be landing in the US.

Better luck next time -- and best wishes for a great trip! I will be looking forward to your report.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 07:43 PM

In Alan's absence, I may well be around.

You can email me on [email protected]. Mention something about Fodors in the subject, so I don't delete it without looking!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 04:36 PM

Hi, 646wyck!

Well, we're home, and probably now you are. too. Sorry we missed you, but I am VERY eager to hear your impressions. And did you see margo_oz?

I heard that it rained in Sydney most of the time we were in India. Certainly, when we returned, our back yard looked like a swamp (and still does.... I'll deal with this when I finally finish with Fodors!). Hope that you saw at least some of the famous Sydney sunshine!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

We did indeed enjoy the Australian Heritage Hotel,however,the weather while we were in Sydney was extremely hot. When upon arriving at the hotel,it was somewhat of a shock to see the 24 steps,very steep,up to our room. Our room was by itself at the top of the stairs. We had to cross the hall and unlock the door to visit the bathrooms and lounges. As you had predicted,it wasn't very crowded while we were there,so sharing the bathrooms wasn't bad. In fact,there were about five for ten rooms. The breakfast in the lounge was very adequate.

We did enjoy the wonderful walk you suggested going through the tunnel across from the hotel and up past the Obsevatory and seeing a view of the bridge from an area where most tourists don't see. We took the ferry to Manly and walked in reverse as to your suggestion. It was an extremely hot day and we just couldn't make it all the way to the Spit Bridge. In cooler weather it would have been splendid. The views,however,were quite impressive.

We were so happy we were able to stay in The Rocks area. After walking to Darling Harbor,we knew we had chosen the right location. Many,many thanks for encouraging us to stay in The Rocks. It was so close to Circular Quay and the Opera House. We did enjoy the Botanical Gardens and walking through Pitt St. Mall. All of our sightseeing was done on foot except the trip to Manly.

We would like to hear about your trip to India and could you please let us know where to find your message.

Again,many thanks for all the information you shared and it will always be remembered about our most interesting stay in Sydney. We would like to recommend all your info..

Happy Holidays!

John and Emily
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 08:06 PM

How amazing to hear from you within minutes of my last posting! I must have timed that really well!

It's a pity about the unseasonally-hot weather; it's been a very strange spring/summer so far, with record highs on some days followed by unseasonally-cold days on others. I arrived back from sunny India and immediately caught a cold, something that doesn't often happen in mid-September.

I have posted a couple of reports -- brief ones, answering specific questions -- about India; on this forum, you can find one under a post which asks about "chicest" hotels, and another which is headed "Alan's plain tales from the Raj". Also, on the Aisa forum, I wrote something about India under the rather inappropriately-titled post "Sponsoring a Child in Vietnam" (well, it was only insppropriately-titled after I hijacked it!)

I'll be writing another post tonight, and your name will be in the heading. Watch out for it... I need a favour!

Next time you come to Sydney, we will definitely arrange a meeting!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 08:07 PM

How amazing to hear from you within minutes of my last posting! I must have timed that really well!

It's a pity about the unseasonally-hot weather; it's been a very strange spring/summer so far, with record highs on some days followed by unseasonally-cold days on others. I arrived back from sunny India and immediately caught a cold, something that doesn't often happen in mid-September.

I have posted a couple of reports -- brief ones, answering specific questions -- about India; on this forum, you can find one under a post which asks about "chicest" hotels, and another which is headed "Alan's plain tales from the Raj". Also, on the Asia forum, I wrote something about India under the rather inappropriately-titled post "Sponsoring a Child in Vietnam" (well, it was only insppropriately-titled after I hijacked the thread!)

I'll be writing another post tonight, on this forum, and your name will be in the heading. Watch out for it... I need a favour!

Next time you come to Sydney, we will definitely arrange a meeting!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Apologoes for the duplicate post... the board is playing up again!
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 09:55 PM

and they did the wise thing and avoided me - AndrewDavid and Michi were irreparably scarred, and at present are undergoing intensive therapy, and no-one has seen or heard of Marilyn Rogers again!