Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Airline travellers who will require food and liquids on their flight.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2020, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the air on planes is supposed to be inherently very clean, it's generally believed that infection spread in planes happens two rows in front and back of a passengers seat. There’s no way to be sure that your fellow passengers aren’t infected.If you’re sitting close someone or a passenger passes your aisle seat, that may not be very safe, because their air droplets will reach you before it gets filtered by the circulation system in the plane. Airlines are saying for the protection of passengers it’s critical to travel with their own mask and many carriers have now made it compulsory to wear a face covering in cabins. But how does a long haul passenger eat and drink while wearing a mask? Eating and drinking requires passengers to take off their masks. The problem on long haul flights is the need to take in liquids and sustenance. How will passengers stay protected and manage eating or drinking, when they have to pull the mask down? Currently, if you are wearing a mask and or face shield, it has to be lifted or removed when eating anddrinking and that exposes the wearer to droplets from people nearby. A protective mask especially designed to off protection while eating and drinking exists.
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ensure and a straw.
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 05:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Put a straw size hole in mask and drink. Seriously. I eat before most long haul flights as I watch a movie, take half an Ambien and go to sleep. I skip breakfast on the plane as I am in coach and it is normally dismal. On return I eat out of boredom so should probably try sleeping. Protein shakes should be a big seller after security now.
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is posted on the Australia forum and long-haul for us often means Europe. That's usually 30 hours or more, from home to your accommodation. The flight bit is around 22 hours if you go direct. You'd need actual food, not just a drink, for that long.