Flight security and liquids

Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight security and liquids

On my recent trip from SMF to IAD I underwent 2 security checks. At neither of them did anyone inquire about liquids, although I had them in a separate bag ready to go. The most stringent check otherwise was at SMF; odd, as I would have thought flights leaving from Dulles would be high priority. Both times I underwent the whole body wand check because of aritificial knees; that is getting really timesome, although I understand the rationale.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:56 PM

They don't always directly ask. They can see the liquids on the Xray and usually only ask if they have a question.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't been asked to remover the ziplok bag for my last several flights. In fact, on one, as I was pulling the baggie out to place in the bin, the TSA agent told me to just leave it in the carry on.

the 3-1-1 rule is still in effect, but you don't have to screen them separately.
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:59 AM

i usually carry my contact lense cleaner in my pocket; they have never caught me once.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM

The "Thousands Standing Around" will make up the "rule du jour" just to keep us guessing.

Technically the baggie is still suppose to come out and be put in the bin. Some airports just don't require it...

And they can "see" liquids. Hmm... that's why they have NEVER noticed that my hand lotion has NEVER made it into the baggie in over five years. LOL!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM

"At neither of them did anyone inquire about liquids, although I had them in a separate bag" - they've changed the rule a year or 2 ago - liquids must be in a clear bag, but you don't have to take them out unless asked.

Underhill: I am usually wanded or patted, always by a woman (I am female) - all it takes is a couple of minutes, take it easy pal For me, it's not any body parts, it's long skirts.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM

This is really YMMV - I was at PNS today and not only did you have to take out your plastic bag containing the liquids, you had to put the bag in a "change bowl" by itself - not in a bucket with any other articles. There was a young woman behind me who had not put all her makeup in the plastic bag, and her carry-on was getting a thorough search by the (female) TSA screener (who was professional, but no-nonsense).

For example, the screener asked "Do you have any other make-up in here?" and the woman at first started to protest that "they told me before that you don't have to put mascara in the plastic bag". I don't remember whether the screener asked her again, or there was just something about the screener's body language, but the young woman quit her protesting and admitted she did have more make-up, which the screener proceeded to examine and quiz her about.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 08:51 PM

What about this silly rule about removing shoes? that makes me even more peeved. The TSA procedures seem to be all about appearances without making the populous any safer.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Traveled through both JFK and some Florida airports the past week. I was carrying a small bottle of cough syrup in my carry on. Probably about six ounces or so. At no screening was the bottle pulled out or examined and I wasn't questioned about it at any point. Good riddance to the "Rule."
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM

We came through Chicago Midway on May 28 and they had lines marked "Experienced Traveler" and Families." The expectation was that experienced ones would have their baggie ready to drop in the tray, shoes and belts off, laptop ready, etc. They still wanted the gels and liquids displayed.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 11:35 PM

^^^ Laptop ready for what?
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 04:18 PM

It's not just a rule it's for safety and security. They have to check liquids because of chemical content and the possibility of chemical bomb. And they have rule to separate them(liquids) so that airport staff can easily see it and recognize it.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM

LOL!

So when they san the baggie there's some "magic" way they know that the chemical content of the items in the little bottles! LOL! REALLY! And do you think that the TSA would recognize "danger" Remember this is the agency that MISSED 'test bombs' after (A) being warned they were going to be tested and (B) being told what the testers LOOKED LIKE.

The TSA thinks that the Terrorist will have liquids labeled EXPLOSIVE (as long as the terrorist flies under his/her name.

And remember airport and airline employees.. >EXEMPT from the idiot liquid rule. And who was one of the original "liquid bombers"????? That's right an airport employee who would have been "exempt"
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 09:59 PM

TSA.. Airport screening is only one of the many levels of security measures in effect at an airport. It is primarily for public consumption and for the most part it is effective.

For sure it is not a perfect system but millions of flyers are effectively screend each day across the country. How many of the critics do their jobs perfectly? I am sure there are more sinners than saints among the critics.

Obviously some do not understand how the system works. Airport and Airline Employees undergo a 10 year background check as part of the employment process. Again,it is not a perfect system. However, I am sure if every employer had the same requirements, many employees would not have jobs.

CarolA ... Some research on TSA and airport security in general maybe helpful for you. The "first liquid bombers" were not airport or airline employees.

Terrorist have used liquids too create bombs long before there was as you call it "the idiot liquid rule".

I can give you specific incidents but it's better if you did your own research. Educate yourself on the issues and maybe with an open mind you will have a different prespective on TSA and airport security.

While not perfect TSA, Airport and Airline employees do a decent job trying to keep you safe while you fly.
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

An up-date: when we flew from Sacramento to Claremont, I forgot to take my liquids bags out of the carry-ons, and no one blinked an eye.

But even though I went through a full-body scanner, I still had to be patted down because of my titanium knees. Wouldn't those have shown up on the scanner?
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 11:18 AM

Underhill,

Be aware that TSA procedures is not the same for all airports. This is based on the fact that not all airports have the same security issues and risk factors. While 3-1-1 is standard, it may be enforced differently at different airports.

Secondary search (pat downs, rescanning of bags, etc) by TSA is primarily done for two reasons. One, the first search or scan was not normal (maybe you knees images different from normal knees). Two, it is random as this adds another element to security.

Although TSA is not perfect and I am a critic of some of their procedures, I am still confident in their ability to add a layer of security to help keep the flying public safe.

What we go through at the airport is only one small part of what TSA and Homeland Security does to keep us safe while flying. For the million plus passengers that fly in the US on a given day, I think they do a pretty good job
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:24 AM

DMB Traveler :: Koolaid drinker
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

The search/scan was not random in my case, as I was asked in advance whether I had any bionic body parts.

I'm not complaining, just curious.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Underhill,

While your knees may have shown up on the scanner a pat down still may or may not have been necessary according to that particular airport's procedure.

I hope you did not suffer too much inconvenience during your travels. However, it is obvious that you got safely to and from your destination and that is a part of what airport and airline security is all about
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 12:47 PM

krgystn,

I have been around aviation most of my life and enjoy drinking the koolaid especially pink lemonade.

I am sure I have traveled more that most and maybe even more than you. Believe me, I have my criticism of some of TSA's and other countries security procedures. However, I am fair enough to also recognize that they all do a decent job keeping the flying public safe.

Your comment shows your lack of understanding about airport and airline security. Some thoughtful research may give you more appreciation and respect for those that work to keep us all safe when we travel by air.

And if you are honest and fair with yourself, you won't even have to drink the koolaid to get my point

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -