Accommodations/trips for a single woman?

Oct 31st, 2002, 12:06 PM
kate milner

Accommodations/trips for a single woman?

I'm going to Australia in December for a wedding so have a limited time to travel for fun. I'm planning on spending 4 - 5 days in Port Douglas to do some day and overnight trips into the rain forest and to the reef. I am traveling by myself so i'd love to make friends along the way. I've looked into hostles such as the Parrot Fish and the Port o' Call. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to stay and good trips to take?

Thanks!

kate

Oct 31st, 2002, 07:42 PM
Kay

Hi Kate,
if you fly to Cairns you can then catch the local bus - Coral Coaches - to Port Douglas. Takes about an hour along a road which hugs the coast - great views.
Haven't stayed at any backpackers in PD but noticed one called Dougies Backpackers which was on the main road into PD (bus goes past plus you could walk into town). It looked nice, with lots of green grass and a pool out the front. I think Port O'Call was nearby.
Any of the hostels will be able to recommend day trips, they will often get a group together if enough people are interested. We did a day trip out to the reef with Quicksilver who are a big operator. The catamarans leave from the marina in PD, you can walk up and check them out. Very organised, a good day with lots to do but they take a lot of people, about 300 if they're full which sounds revolting but wasn't.
Another good day trip would be up through the Daintree and to Cape Tribulation. We hired a car and took a picnic but there are lots of tour operators as well.
Kay

Nov 1st, 2002, 04:53 AM
Kate

Thanks for the info Kay! I have heard similar accounts of Port Douglas being so accessilbe. I'm looking forward to my trip!

Nov 1st, 2002, 10:37 AM
Johanna

HI KATE: You seem to know a lot about Australia, would like to fly to Sydney, attend the Australian Open the first wk and then visit the rest of Australia(Melbourne, Ayers Rock, Cairn and combine with a trip to NZ. Is Jan a good time for both, local tour guide you can recommend,can make intracountry flights when I get there...am traveling solo. Thank you...Johanna

Nov 1st, 2002, 01:24 PM
Kate

Hi Joahanna.

Wow it sounds like you have a great trip planned with lots to see and do! My knowledge of Australia is from 16 years ago when I lived there and from good family friends that are still there today. My family was transferred to Melbourne for 4 years (we are from the US)in the early 80s. I have been very excited to go back!

I think your plans sound great, but I assume you ahve the whole month of January to spend? I was told by our friends that live in Carlton to make flight and hotel bookings a bit earlier this year as the bombings in Bali are causing many folks to stay in Australia for their holiday. I know December and January are very popular times for travel in Australia so you may want to try and book your flights prior to going over. I have been getting some fantastic prices on flights through travelocity.com and sidestep.com.

For accommodations, I have been booking mostly hostels and they have not been a problem to get reservations. Traveling alone I wanted to be able to stay flexible on any day or overnight trips I want to take and at most hostels and hotels you can book those trips when you arrive. Also, my sister did this type of trip 8 years ago and said they were a great places to relax and meet people as well as have access to travel.

One thing to note is to get to Aires Rock it takes quite a bit of time to get out there and back - i.e. flying into Alice Springs and then taking a bus or transport (i think about 4 hours) out to the rock itself. YOu usually go the night before and camp. If you want to climb the rock you ahve to do it very early in the morning so the heat isn't too bad, but it is one of the things my sister raved about when she got back - the sights! Just make sure you leave yourself enough time to get there and back. That is one sight I am very sadly going to miss!

I hope this helps!

Kate

Nov 1st, 2002, 03:53 PM
bill simpson

For Johanna.
Don't fly into Alice Springs to visit Ayers Rock. It's a waste of time. There's not much in Alice Springs & its a long drive from there to Ayers Rock. You can fly directly into & out of the airport at Ayers Rock. If you do Ayers Rock do the Sounds of Silence (book reservations far in advance) & the Pioneer Outback (lodge in the Ayers Rock complex of hotels) barbeque they have each night.

Search this Thread