Reload this Page >

Young woman traveling alone during one month in Australia in May

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,
I am a 22 years-old young woman and I am planning to travel alone in Australia for one month, for May 1st to May 31st. This is my first trip alone and my first time in Australia!
What itinerary do you recommend given that period (it would be amazing if the itinerary includes the great barrier reef and the desert!) ? What means of transport (I don't want to drive...)?
I haven't planned anything yet and I know very little about Australia so your advice /tips/guidance/comments are very valuable to me
My local budget there is 1500euros / AUD2300.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Sophia
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 01:12 PM

Hello Sophia, a couple of comments:

Does your budget include accommodation? If it does, it is very small for 1 month in Australia. Less than $100 per day will only get you backpacker accommodation, with enough leftover to eat and see a few sites.

Having said that, if you can afford it, to me the one must-see in Australia is the Great Barrier Reef. The further north you go to see it, the better, e.g. Cairns / Port Douglas. In the same region you can see the beautiful Daintree forest.

Next thought: Australia is big, with a lot of empty space between the most popular attractions. Because of this, it can be very time-consuming (and a little boring) to travel by road. The best way to get from place to place is to fly, unless you're happy to take your time. Flights in Australia can be expensive but there are good bargains to be had from time to time. Jetstar and Tiger are generally the cheapest airlines.

Australia is also basically a green-edged desert - there's desert everywhere. You don't have to go to the most famous outback sites like Uluru and Kakadu to get a feel for the desert. If you wanted to stick to the East coast and not go up the middle of the country, you can get a feel for life in outback Australia by visiting one of the big mining towns like Mt Isa or Broken Hill.

Given your budget, I'd probably recommend you concentrate on the East coast: Great Barrier Reef, Sydney, Melbourne and an outback trip. If you don't mind a bit of cold weather, Tasmania is also lovely in Autumn/Winter.

If you give a bit more information about what you'd like to do, you'll get more detailed responses.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 01:26 AM

Hello Sophsoph

If you sign up for the regular weekly emails from low-cost airlines such as Jetstar & Virgin, you will receive their latest discount offers for their flights as soon as they become available, and sometimes they give advance warnings of when these fares will go on sale.

You need to know ahead of time exactly where & when you want to travel (with maybe a couple of options up your sleeve) as these very cheap prices disappear very quickly! Di
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 03:37 AM

I am concerned that you don't have enough money. That's well under A$100 per day and accommodation in this country is expensive. As it will be your biggest expense, I would check out a few places to stay to make sure you have enough. What sort of places are you hoping to stay in? Perhaps we could give you some advice then about accommodation.

I may be biased but I think the east coast is the most interesting part so I would travel from Melbourne to Brisbane, then fly to Cairns area (not Cairns itself) for a week. Australia has a limited regional train network and some long distance buses. Flying is often cheaper if you book ahead with non-refundable tickets. Websites depend on the carrier so let us know where you want to travel and we can perhaps help with websites if needed.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 12:23 PM

Just checked booking.com for Melbourne, as an example, to see what's available at the budget end and they have beds in a hostel dormitory available quite cheaply so that's good news. Places where there are no hostels or backpackers lodges will be more of a problem. And the dollar is falling against the euro that it's also good.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 08:09 AM

Dear sophsoph,

I wish you the best in your journey. But please try and save more money and increase your budget. You might just get stranded with 1500 euro for a month.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 07:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Living here, I think the others are right. You may do ok sticking with the backpackers hostels and there are some well located ones right in the cities. But as a person who has moved here to Australia, I am very familiar with the price shock. $10 is nothing to spend in a cafe on lunch just for a sandwich and drink. Admissions are staggering. (like $38 for the Melbourne Aquarium and that's typical) And being spread out, if you want to take a day tour away from a city and really see Australia, then you have those costs too. I have reasonably simply travel tastes and don't try to see it all, but in this case, you may miss more than you see on a budget that tight.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 04:48 AM

The OP planned to travel in May. i wonder how she made out, or if she is stranded somewhere with no money to get home?